Sign in to follow this  
wqleow

Finally filled up my watchbox!

wqleow

There you have it, the final 20 watches that have made it this far. As of this moment, all of them are keepers, until the next super-rep comes along.

This is a collection that leans towards IWC and curated for a slim wrist size of 6.5".

I will refresh this thread by posting mini-reviews of each watch. But first, presenting the final 20 as we move into the new year!

49B34ADA-7A4A-4FF8-92DA-E7A50781B830_zpscrde9lhx.jpg

First row: IWC

Second row: watches on bracelet

Third row: watches > 42mm (Pams, Breitling, Sinn)

Fourth row: watches < 40mm (Rollie, Nomos, Longines, FM)

Edited by wqleow

greg_r

Cool. You do realise that you now have to sell 'em all and start again, yes? :giggle:

wqleow

Cool. You do realise that you now have to sell 'em all and start again, yes? :giggle:

Eventually yes, but I'm going to busk in the satisfaction of having 20 cool watches all together in a box for a while first.

OR

I could buy another watchbox...

greg_r

Eventually yes, but I'm going to busk in the satisfaction of having 20 cool watches all together in a box for a while first.

OR

The latter was my tactic. Twice. Now I have three full watchboxes. :facepalm:

SSTEEL

Nice collection!

I filled two boxes, and instead of buying a third or bigger box, I converted our bedroom sideboard drawers into watch storage :)

wqleow

OR

Wow! Even if you wear a different watch everyday, it would take you about 3 months to rotate through them all!

At the rate the factories are churning out the super-reps, I'll probably get there soon. Will we ever see a plateau or is the best yet to be?

Degsy1880

some nice pieces and choices there fella. I'm off the boil for buying pieces at the moment hoping to get back in the saddle in the new year. I'm after a PO and a nautilus.

enjoy

D.

greg_r

OR

Wow! Even if you wear a different watch everyday, it would take you about 3 months to rotate through them all!

At the rate the factories are churning out the super-reps, I'll probably get there soon. Will we ever see a plateau or is the best yet to be?

Hmm - good question. I'm at a rep plateau - I haven't gotten too excited about a rep since the PAM 382 came out, but you never know. There are some gens I would like, though.... :headdesk:

wqleow

Nice collection!

I filled two boxes, and instead of buying a third or bigger box, I converted our bedroom sideboard drawers into watch storage :)

My wife would find issue with my watches tussling for real estate with her facial products. I figure I can shift some of the kids stuff away for another watchbox. And the more the watches are kept out of view of the missus, the better.

wqleow

OR

Hmm - good question. I'm at a rep plateau - I haven't gotten too excited about a rep since the PAM 382 came out, but you never know. There are some gens I would like, though.... :headdesk:

Thankfully the gen bug hasn't bitten me yet. Almost went down the Seiko route before I ended up with the Breitling seawolf. The reps just offer so much value for the price tag!

And its a cracking hobby.

wqleow
some nice pieces and choices there fella. I'm off the boil for buying pieces at the moment hoping to get back in the saddle in the new year. I'm after a PO and a nautilus. enjoy D.

Go for it once you can! I've been through several versions of the PO already (from cheapie to v5 to LMPO) and it's a beautiful watch.

greg_r

Seikos are as bad as reps for affordable addictiveness. I've got half a dozen or so...

wqleow
Seikos are as bad as reps for affordable addictiveness. I've got half a dozen or so...

I have been told. Once you get a seiko, you can't turn back! I'm just going to hold off for as long as possible.

greg_r

I have been told. Once you get a seiko, you can't turn back! I'm just going to hold off for as long as possible.

Self control..... Where's the fun in that? :D

elp

I see a couple that don't belong in your collection ... will PM you the details so I can take them off your hands. No need to thank me, it's my civic duty.

nunu78

Self control..... Where's the fun in that? :D

Well said G, spend 2 grands in one and half month on reps as can't control the urge :)

Paparolf

Nice collection mate.

wqleow

Today's mini-review will be on the new offering: Nomos Tangente 38.

I got mine from Tim @ Watchfinder. And as usual, Tim provides excellent communication and QC.

It measures about 38mm by 10mm and runs on a 21J low beat movement. Although it's low beat, you cannot see the stutter as the seconds hand is short.

I opted for the Doctors without Borders Edition with the '12' marker in red. The main inaccuracy with the dial of this model is that instead of 'Made in Germany' at the 6 o'clock position, the wording should have been Doctors without Borders. However it doesn't bother me that much as the dial print is crisp and the crystal AR is good.

The other inaccuracy is that the hands are in metallic blue instead of black for this Edition. Again, it doesn't bother me too much.

The lugs allow the watch to be worn close to the wrist. I expected the strap to be crap but surprisingly the shell cordovan strap is quite nice and supple to wear.

Display caseback shows off the 21J movement. Not much to be excited about though. Engraving and words all seem quite good.

Overall, a crackling watch for under $200. A must-try if you are a Nomos fan.

753c49ef33757918e0c518f37117db93.jpg

f9dbf22da86c04c2e45aad410b5c941d.jpg

Here's the link to Tim's salethread : http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=89235

Recently tried matching the Nomos with a mesh strap and I think it works!

5fba672bd9deee3477394b196906d4d9.jpg

Edited by wqleow

yukon

Nice! I have seen this Nomos Tangente 38 with red 12 for a while now. I think for this price, we can ignore the inaccuracy :giggle:

Maybe I should give it a try.

Brilliant collection by the way! :rolleyes:

wqleow
Nice! I have seen this Nomos Tangente 38 with red 12 for a while now. I think for this price, we can ignore the inaccuracy :giggle:

Maybe I should give it a try.

Brilliant collection by the way! :rolleyes:

Thanks yukon! If you like and collect dress watches (<40mm), this is definitely worth getting.

In fact, I like it so much I'm thinking of going gen if the moolah allows!

ag69

Nice collection!! I thought I would stop once I filled a watch box , but I continued buying more watch boxes. Therefore, this obsession will never end!!

wqleow

Nice collection!! I thought I would stop once I filled a watch box , but I continued buying more watch boxes. Therefore, this obsession will never end!!

Both you and greg are going to influence me to look at buying another watchbox! But honestly I like all 20 watches so much that I don't know which to sell!

wqleow

I want to say a few words about another of my watch: Breitling Avenger Seawolf.

I have never been a Breitling person and even after owning the seawolf, I'm still not sure about liking Breitling.

What is most attractive about this watch is the yellow dial. And that's all. I have not been able to find a dial as nicely yellow as this one.

EE590CFE-778E-4ACF-BE35-0B502D11AAD3_zpszduoghxq.jpg

But this is a chunky watch, coming in at 45mm wide and 18mm thick, this thing is a beast! This is not a dress watch nor is it for daily office wear. I only see myself wearing this as a weekend watch.

I had gotten this from Victor over m2m and he was absolutely wonderful to deal with. The watch took over 3 months to arrive from Canada and at one point we wondered if the postman might have pinched it. Victor was on the ball with this deal and pursued the post office until it showed up at my doorstep one day.

I changed the strap to an ocean rubber strap, cementing its position as a weekend / at the pool watch.

C1637461-58D9-4C44-822A-93BF74A3574B_zpsk7w5ddmy.jpg?t=1419517521

I know the yellow seawolf has been out of production for a while, thus the hunting in m2m. As to what version this was, I'm still unsure. The movement runs like a high beat and Victor had also assured me that it's swiss when he serviced it. But the case seems awfully polished and as far as I tell, even the bezel and the front of the case is polished.

0CC5BCB2-64AE-4198-A6A7-9B4EB6E0BC86_zpsnmj9ilim.jpg

Will I eventually hold onto this? I'm not sure but for now, until I find a better yellow dial watch, this Breitling is going to stay.

sbrown85

Tried keeping the collection to ten for now. Saw what you can do with seikos and modifying them. Tool kit press and another Seiko on the way. At least I have room in the box to expand. Lovely collection.

HeavyKrush
Amen to that.

Cracking collection mate. Good variety.