Sign in to follow this  
wqleow

Finally filled up my watchbox!

Cubic Hare

Awesome collection you have there. Can I ask where you purchased the yellow seawolf? I'm after one myself. PM is fine and thanks..

Cheers

<RJ>

Thanks for the advice on the Patek, Its a classic but to small for me as the taste is now. :thumbsup:

wqleow
very nice!

Thanks jokobkr!

wqleow
Awesome collection you have there. Can I ask where you purchased the yellow seawolf? I'm after one myself. PM is fine and thanks..

Cheers

PM incoming wherealien!

wqleow
Thanks for the advice on the Patek, Its a classic but to small for me as the taste is now. :thumbsup:

I'm in the midst of looking for a noob version IWC Ingenieur Sport for Laureus Edition. At 42mm, it's one of the larger dress watches.

Looking at some of the recent releases from the TDs, I feel that dress watches are coming back. Yay!

wqleow

Continuing on, a few words about my Omegas. First up the quintessential Seamaster Planet Ocean 42mm.

I had gone through several versions of this model. I still remembered starting with a $35 silix special, which worked remarkable well for the price tag. Well the bracelet was shit, but that gave way to a leather strap quite quickly.

58adc439f80e82b61348a612ddbe0b9d.jpg

Then I went on to the PO v5, which was one of my favourite until the rotor stopped working. Had a watch smith look it through and he pressed down the rotor but it still didn't work. Then I decided to be a watchsmith and literally dismantled the watch and killed it.

d210ed2f255f550688a0439433145244.jpg

I realised I needed a PO in my life badly and decided to get the LMPO. The fact that the LMPO was the rep of the year and that it had a closed caseback were reasons that drew me to it. The CrPO had a better bracelet and wasn't as shiny but the possibility of a fading bezel issue and the open display caseback didn't wok for me.

Well here are the pics. The LMPO is very shiny. I still have not gotten used to it but everything else is wonderful. And of course, I had a watchsmith resize the bracelet. I had already experienced the pain with the PO v5.

29389475e90a9184c9c3e88f804b0214.jpg

5c2251bcd2ef6787b174ac84fcd6d32d.jpg

Edited by wqleow

wqleow

A quickie about the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra.

I had been on the fence about this one for quite a while. The fact that it runs on a Miyota A8500 and costed about $300 seemed like a bad deal. But seeing so many pics on the wristchecks poisoned me and I finally crumbled.

Not that I regretted. This watch is really quite well built once you look past the movement. The grey-teak dial is crisp and colour change is phenomenal. The bracelet is well built and the clasp is tight.

It works in a dressy sporty way, much like the AP RO but without all that affluence tag.

Wished I took more photos but you'll have to make do with one for the time being.

675bc8fda136456978ac5b4a6e1e596d.jpg

Edited by wqleow

SackOHammers

Well-done thread. I like the diary feel of it.

wqleow

Needing no introduction is this baby, PAM 390. I had gotten her off a local trade for the AP Diver v3.5.

f09552ee68c57273250e8afae2e5ac3d.jpg

I immediately fell in love with her. The clean legible dial coupled with the tobacco dial, patina lume and gold hands was just right up my alley.

3d41219dbd683bf1df0e09c5676bfe1f.jpg

I have made a few strap changes with this one and it currently sits on a distressed grey leather panatime strap. Asso strap is just too thick and light-coloured for my taste.

1c145749133558d24815a14bfc011fe6.jpg

Now I must say that PAMs are still too large for me and now with the PAM 512 coming, I must decide if I will let the 390 go to make way for the 512.

If they do fit the blue screws on the 512 with the v2, it might just happen!

87ae4d88409a0d30c018aef5ff9dd1a9.jpg

Edited by wqleow

wqleow
Well-done thread. I like the diary feel of it.

Thank you! I just wanted a space to record all these nuggets of rep collecting experience.

Glad you enjoyed reading.

wqleow

By now you would have gathered that I don't wear large watches (>42mm) very well. And in fact for a PAM to survive in my collection, the watch aesthetics must really appeal to me. After all, quite a few PAMs had already left my hands (PAM 049, PAM386, PAM 288 and PAM292).

One of the survivors is the PAM 250/236. I had gotten it as a PAM 250 with the bracelet but the bracelet was comfortable to wear and made the watch really heavy, so I swapped it out to a leather strap, making this a PAM 236.

bd8b28bf64c27e8770784b834281ddda.jpg

This is one watch that handles the tri-compax configuration quite well. While looking busy, everything still looks legible. The use of stick markers all round except at '12' position is a good idea. The tachymetre bezel makes the watch look smaller than it is and fits my wrist better.

29b9a89ac03ba4cfcf237e7344021eb5.jpg

Lume is good and the 7753 movement is better at resolving the sunken wheel issue than the 7750. Movement was working well until it died one day but after a good service, it's back to business.

b3162d382961275ddd578b2d6b18e787.jpg

This, I will be holding on.

5d88890f0929fb5dbe2072f522cbc583.jpg

Edited by wqleow

wqleow

Patek Philippe Nautilus

I've always wondered if I could really pull off a Patek. One day I decided to give it a try. It took a while, the price tag on the Nautilus with Sellita movement was quite Patek in the rep world, costing in the $500 range.

7463b77a83dc6860b2eaa87391837bcd.jpg

So I had actually went with the rose gold, brown-grey dial version with A2824 movement. I liked it as a dress watch but because of the rose gold, I could only wear it as a special occasion watch. So I took the plunge and got the stainless steel blue dial, which I love to bits!

efbe3e27f7803cdbc608e312fe09a8ad.jpg

The Nautilus has a flat profile which wears remarkable well in the office. The bracelet is sleek as well although I have had my hair clipped a few times.

5806626224a2524852f9f7ecf94852af.jpg

The dial takes on a blue-grey hue depending on the lighting. Movement runs like a dream, fitting of its higher price tag.

17f53c5e2da2c90d5c6320c350e96554.jpg

I would wear this everyday but then my other watches complain.

89a7c40c6872b0a5184fd5bedf5d5cc7.jpg

684b70acc97d2365fcaecbcd2b56e8d5.jpg

56fa268ee72101411be6c010ee983197.jpg

Edited by wqleow

wqleow

I was pleasantly surprised to find out about the jumping hour complication while reading the forum and felt that the FM Crazy Hours would really perk up the collection.

I currently hold the smaller sized version (39mm) as opposed to the jumbo (55mm). It's on a glossy black leather strap and the unique case shape makes for a nice variation.

IMG_6379_zpsa5a2b443.jpg

IMG_5523_zpscfab6cf8.png

I've always wondered how the rep factories managed to modify the movement. It's a pleasure to watch the hour hand jump and makes for a great conversational piece.

The smaller version wears better than the jumbo which I sold.

12480767174_2efe3f41a0_o_zps20035243.jpg

12480431223_fb8ebae67f_o_zpsb1ea4386.jpg

wqleow

Longines Master Collection Automatic is one of the many dress watches I had gotten once I came to terms that my wrists cannot support any watch >42mm.

Tim @ Watchfinder would put up his regular factory updates and this was hidden within one of those threads.

615219c114e1de2a1d82e0ddd0d1b8a8.jpg

Simplistic dial with a date window at "6" position. I like the hobnailed dial. The watch has a slim profile and wears well in the office. The Arabic numeral markers are nice. I seem to have a weak spot for this (my other watches also have this similar look - IWC Portuguese, ALS Saxonia etc)

f3763109023bc701aa1ad4c8041ad5e7.jpg

Only issue is that I can't seem to find a nice enough strap for this. It's been through the mesh, brown leather strap, black leather strap etc.

ee12bcb9bbb13bf83cf088856d19d94c.jpg

Currently it's on a brown rally style strap.

And then a few weeks back, I find the the TDs are offering the Longines Moonphase Chrono. Sized at 40mm, this is hugely attractive. But should I trade the Automatic for the Moonphase? Will I regret it?

Edited by wqleow

SackOHammers

wqleow, my solution to that problem is to have both. I confirmed with Toro that the Longines Master with date uses the same bracelet as the Master Moonphase... well, at least the versions he carries are interchangable. So, one with leather and one with bracelet.

I really, really like the simple look of the Master Collection with the date, barleycorn dial, and blue hands. The only difference is I chose date at 3, instead of at 6. The moonphase chrono is a larger watch with a lot going on. It's the opposite of the understated dress watch. I don't see a reason why you couldn't keep both in your stable.

There's also the Breguet Moonphase to consider. But that one seems quite a bit thicker profile.

If you like the look and you want to spend just a little more for gen swiss, you could go with this:

http://www.steinhart...ograph,863.html

I had a good think about it one night. Would be nice to have a gen swiss. White face, blue hands. But in the end, the closeup look of the watch wasn't for me. The marketing photos look nice, but I saw someone here do a review and their wrist shot finally tipped me over the edge. I decided it wasn't for me. But I'm seriously considering the simpler versions. I'll probably do it. Here are the choices:

http://www.steinhart...INE-38,583.html

http://www.steinhart...arabic,791.html

http://www.steinhart...-Roman,792.html

P.S. Ahh, now that you've gone back and edited that last post and added photos, it kind of looks like my post is threadcrapping. I'll leave it here for posterity, but probably not as fitting anymore.

wqleow
wqleow, my solution to that problem is to have both. I confirmed with Toro that the Longines Master with date uses the same bracelet as the Master Moonphase... well, at least the versions he carries are interchangable. So, one with leather and one with bracelet.

I really, really like the simple look of the Master Collection with the date, barleycorn dial, and blue hands. The only difference is I chose date at 3, instead of at 6. The moonphase chrono is a larger watch with a lot going on. It's the opposite of the understated dress watch. I don't see a reason why you couldn't keep both in your stable.

There's also the Breguet Moonphase to consider. But that one seems quite a bit thicker profile.

If you like the look and you want to spend just a little more for gen swiss, you could go with this:

http://www.steinhart...ograph,863.html

I had a good think about it one night. Would be nice to have a gen swiss. White face, blue hands. But in the end, the closeup look of the watch wasn't for me. The marketing photos look nice, but I saw someone here do a review and their wrist shot finally tipped me over the edge. I decided it wasn't for me. But I'm seriously considering the simpler versions. I'll probably do it.

P.S. Ahh, now that you've gone back and edited that last post and added photos, it kind of looks like my post is threadcrapping. I'll leave it here for posterity, but probably not as fitting anymore.

Thank you the suggestions Sack! Like you, I also prefer the cleaner version but to have a working moonphase in the collection would be awesome.

Ideally I would have both but with the Pam 512 and the Patek 5227 on my to buy list, I would have to let one go unless a windfall comes my way.

The Breguet did cross my mind but there seems to be two versions and the one currently on sale has a gross spelling error.

I haven't quite gone gen yet but your options are indeed worth considering.

Thanks!

kennycoder

I really need a 3714 in my collection but it's so difficult to get a proper movement :|

wqleow

I really need a 3714 in my collection but it's so difficult to get a proper movement :|

An element of luck is in order. I would suggest going with a good TD with great QC (eg Tim at Watchfinder). You are less likely to end up with a dud.

It would also be good if you have a local watchsmith so when the movement needs a service, you've got it covered.

The 3714 is such a great design, I really am glad I bit the bullet and bought it.

wqleow

Finally I've come to the Sinn U2 Solebox.

I must admit I never really heard of Sinn until I joined the forum. This is the second Sinn I've had since the Sinn U1 JR Limited Ed, which I sold in a yard sale.

IMG_3133_zps7d963114.jpg

I ended up buying the U2 Solebox when I saw pictures of it again in the wrist check threads. (damn the threads, why you hurt my wallet?)

I had seen the watch mounted on a brown leather strap and it looked stunning!

So here's my several renditions:

74F0C35D-A377-4910-BD0F-7D35E1FCE4F3_zpsiihtgz74.jpg

On red-brown tobacco strap

12480217505_832652d51e_o_zps625e9364.png

On brown leather padded strap.

12480397393_667c1ef771_o_zpsf5b210d5.png

On NATO strap.

834F34F6-2A08-43D8-9372-04B236E1E6BF_zpsphszymox_1.jpg?t=1422543828

It's currently on an unused synthetic black strap with orange stitch. I have no idea why I keep buying straps for this watch!

Amazingly, I have not used the original rubber strap at all. It is uncut and pristine!

The love for this watch has been waning and I suspect it will be going onto M2M soon.

Edited by wqleow

theslavetrainer

Great Collection- mmm nice VC .

Millwell

really like this collection . where do you buy most of you're watches ?

wqleow

really like this collection . where do you buy most of you're watches ?

I got them mostly from our wonderful TDs here who do a great job providing us high quality reps.

Prices do seem to be inching up now slowly.

Check out my new 2016 thread here: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=115308

MGoerg

Oh, my GOD. Where did you get the grey dial/rose gold Portuguese??? Been looking for one of that quality for years and cannot find!! Please help a brother out!!

black263

Oh, my GOD. Where did you get the grey dial/rose gold Portuguese??? Been looking for one of that quality for years and cannot find!! Please help a brother out!!

Read the words grasshopper. Said it came from Lightgeek. Then look at http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=67090 Personally, I'd ask Mary as she has been able to source all sorts of hard-to-find watches.