Sign in to follow this  
KarmaToBurn

My new JDM Seiko X Giugiaro SCED023

KarmaToBurn

In 1983 Seiko paired up with car designer Giorgetto Giugiaro (who designed among others, the Delorean DMC-12 and Lotus Esprit) to design a few watches.

cs_giorgetto_giugiaro_cars_013.jpg

Two of the watches designed by Giugiaro wound up on Ripley and Bishop from the movie Aliens.

Aliens-Bishop-Lance-Henriksen-Watch.jpg

For the 30th anniversary of the Giugiaro collaboration Seiko re-released the Bishop watch as the Seiko Spirit SCEDXXX. The new versions have a few minor changes like movement and crown placement. The SCED003 is the colour variation worn by Bishop in aliens.

SpritlineGiugiaro_zps0ee7ede3.jpg

The watches were released in limited numbers and sold out pretty fast. For 2014 Seiko released 5 more colour variations.

giujiaro_001.jpg

I immediately had to have the SCED023 variation and contacted the regular JDM dealers. Seiya was sold out, Chino didn't get back to me, but Higuchi said he could get it! $230 (including EMS shipping) and less than a week later I now have my own Seiko Bishop and it's awesome :lol:

SCED023-4.jpg

SCED023-5.jpg

SCED023-2.jpg

SCED023-3.jpg

elp

I love that look - nice purchase !!

KarmaToBurn
I love that look - nice purchase !!

Thanks mate. I love the asymmetrical case and the gray/orange combo.

Phizzy

That looks amazing buddy, really great pickup.

Wear it well.

HWG

Certainly a different design, very interesting! Enjoy your new watch, and thanks for sharing the backstory!

Del

Love that! Great write-up too! :clap:

Gazzla

:drool:

Must resist . . .

avc0002

honestly didnt think I was gonna like the offset look. but I'm really attracted to it. unlike those fugly Hamilton watches they wear on MIB. cant think of the name

HeavyKrush

Great pickup! For reference, here are the (2) used in the movie. The silver was Ripley's and the brown was Bishop's.

c93a245e0cdda7ab9a40b3ac_zps2bc48669.jpg

markeym3

a real nice colour combo, a very 70's feel , always looks good on a watch ,, nice story too ,,

Genius

Very cool watch, never seen these before. IMO you have got the best colour combo too well done :)

RichardMiami

honestly didnt think I was gonna like the offset look. but I'm really attracted to it. unlike those fugly Hamilton watches they wear on MIB. cant think of the name

That was the Hamilton Ventura.... used in MIB and also worn by a little known rock a billy kid...I think he ended up in the army..I don't recall his exact name.. Eddy Preston or something like that...;)

hamilton_ventura_elvis_presley.jpg

avc0002

That was the Hamilton Ventura.... used in MIB and also worn by a little known rock a billy kid...I think he ended up in the army..I don't recall his exact name.. Eddy Preston or something like that... ;)

not sure if you're a fan of the show Dexter. It was based in Miami so I'm sure you've heard of it (It's a pretty good show too). one of the dudes on that show wore a Ventura

Genius

That was the Hamilton Ventura.... used in MIB and also worn by a little known rock a billy kid...I think he ended up in the army..I don't recall his exact name.. Eddy Preston or something like that... ;)

not sure if you're a fan of the show Dexter. It was based in Miami so I'm sure you've heard of it (It's a pretty good show too). one of the dudes on that show wore a Ventura

I loved dexter when it was on, great show! Who had the Ventura, dont recall seeing it?

avc0002

I loved dexter when it was on, great show! Who had the Ventura, dont recall seeing it?

rct274.jpg

idk if the pic is gonna work. but Batista had one

KarmaToBurn

Great pickup! For reference, here are the (2) used in the movie. The silver was Ripley's and the brown was Bishop's.

c93a245e0cdda7ab9a40b3ac_zps2bc48669.jpg

If they re-release the Ripley I'll be all over that one too :P

The only negative for the watch so far is that the bracelet can be a bit of a hair puller.

Khronos

This is something else, wow!! I love the one you got, looks fantastic!