Sign in to follow this  
Ttrm007

a7750 Fix attempt

Ttrm007

Well, I'm going to get into my Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36 (SS) with a stripped crown. I ordered some tools and parts but still waiting on a few things. Here is my list:

1. Hand removal tool
  2. Basic Watch repair kit
  3. Hand install tool
  4. Pin vice

SSTEEL supplied me with a new Tag crown and stem (THANKS!) and I think I'm almost ready to tear into it when a few more tools show up the next could days. I'll keep everyone posted.

Here is the Million Dollar Question. Since my hands are a bit out of alignment, I would like to go a step further than repairing crown/stem and pull the movement to re-align hands. Some have suggested pulling hands and re-installing and others have suggested just holding one stationary and forcing it. I'm afraid that doing that will make the hands loose all the time and slip but I really don't know much about how that could work. If I do try to spin them, do I hold the hour hand in place or the minute hand?

Thanks for any advice and wish me luck.

ROLIE

HI don't hold the hands and force them, remove them and then refit as you said holding and forcing may make them loose but may also damage the gearing

markeym3

Yeah for me too . Remove and refit

ROLIE

+ 1mill

nofitstate

Get yourself some hand levers, you are far less likely to damage the hands with them.

nofitstate

Also watch this video

It goes into far more than you'll need and shows the hands being removed and using a clear plastic bag to protect both the hands and dial from scratches using hand levers.

I'd been using just a dial protector up until watching the video and found that even with the greatest of care you could still mark the edge of a hand very slightly, which under the magnification of the crystal could look a lot worse.

and one other thing, do not attempt to go as fast as the guy in the video!

Ttrm007

Also watch this video

It goes into far more than you'll need and shows the hands being removed and using a clear plastic bag to protect both the hands and dial from scratches using hand levers.

I'd been using just a dial protector up until watching the video and found that even with the greatest of care you could still mark the edge of a hand very slightly, which under the magnification of the crystal could look a lot worse.

Great video and like the plastic bag idea. I have a hand puller tool instead of these levers. Any issues with that? It is the kinds you squeeze and it pulls.

flyr

The levers give you a lot more control/precision.(and a lot of control is needed for subdial/seconds hands)

SSTEEL

Get yourself some hand levers, you are far less likely to damage the hands with them.

This ^^^

nofitstate

Also watch this video

Great video and like the plastic bag idea. I have a hand puller tool instead of these levers. Any issues with that? It is the kinds you squeeze and it pulls.

You have far less control with a hand puller, I'd advise you not to use it from experience.

Ttrm007

Dang. Project on hold I guess. Need to order some hand levers! Thanks for the feedback. I like this watch but I also like to be able to fix my own stuff (at least the minor stuff). No huge rush so I'll hold off. I may do the stem and crown first just to get her back up and running though. Pretty simple to pull again to do hands.

Ttrm007

Bummer. It didn't work out. I pulled the crown and stem, removed the crown from the old stem and see the two crowns are not the same on the inside. Look identical on the outside.

Back to the drawing board.