Sign in to follow this  
bimmerpilot

I'm considering a Daytona

bimmerpilot

After getting a quick education about PAM's (and purchasing one from Robert) I'm thinking about a Daytona.

The questions that I have are:

1. It's my understanding that the "sweep second hand" on a gen is a stop watch timer and the dial at 6 o'clock counts the seconds? (I do not want a rep that has a sweep second hand that is always ticking)).

2. From what I've read the rep watches that have had their movement converted to "seconds at 6" have a high failure rate. Is this still true?

3. Is the 7750 movement still the "preferred" movement? and how much of a price difference is there between the "low-beat" and "high-beat" 7750 vs. the 21j movements?

and of course (You knew this was coming :) )

4. Who provides the best Daytona in $100-$250 range?

I'm considering the steel case/white face/gold trimmed chrono rings.

Thanks for your help,

Chad

Luthier

Practically all Tonas come from the same factory. So, almost all our dealers carry the same watches.

"Sweep" and "tick" doesn't depend, where is seconds hands, it depends on the beats of the movements.

Hi-beat A7750 sweeps, mean seconds hand will run smoothly, because the beat rate is 28,000 beats per hour, but 21J will tick, mean will run not-so-smooth, because it's lo-beat movement, 21,600 beats per hour.

By the way, 21j has no chrono function, it shows Day, Date, or month, etc. It screams - I'm fake!!!

Some people said new A7750 is problem free, regarding seconds @6, but even old ones sometimes works without problems for years. But some die next day. I'd better find seconds @9 Tona.

bimmerpilot
Practically all Tonas come from the same factory. So, almost all our dealers carry the same watches.

"Sweep" and "tick" doesn't depend, where is seconds hands, it depends on the beats of the movements.

Hi-beat A7750 sweeps, mean seconds hand will run smoothly, because the beat rate is 28,000 beats per hour, but 21J will tick, mean will run not-so-smooth, because it's lo-beat movement, 21,600 beats per hour.

By the way, 21j has no chrono function, it shows Day, Date, or month, etc. It screams - I'm fake!!!

Some people said new A7750 is problem free, regarding seconds @6, but even old ones sometimes works without problems for years. But some die next day. I'd better find seconds @9 Tona.

Thanks Luthier, Though what I meant about the (large) sweep second hand (ticking/sweeping) is that it remains at the 12 o'clock position unless the watch is in chrono/stop watch mode).

Regards,

Chad

KBH

The A7750 is the only automatic chrono movment used in a modern Daytona from China. Probably all are hi-beat by now although they aren't usually mentioned as one or the other and there is no price difference. They still suck and a high percentage will fail in the first year. There is no "best" 7750 Daytona that I'm aware of. All the dealers have pretty much the same thing from the same factories. And the going price seems to be from around $180 to $300 or so.

The 21j models all have large second hand moving unless you have a watchmaker modify it. Or, you might find a decent quartz with working chrono for $100 but it will probably have the second hand in the wrong position.

If I were you, I'd give up on Daytonas unless you're willing to take a chance with the 7750. And then, I would be more concerned about the warranty the dealer offered than the price. Some dealers do offer a one year warranty and I think at least one offers a 2 year that I've seen.

Just don't plan on handing it down to your children. :)