Sign in to follow this  
Dommysam

Speedmaster Moon Mods Complete (ST-19)

Dommysam

Picked up the Lemania manual wind Speedmaster Moon at Christmas courtesy of Rochest at Watch International. Great transaction, lovely watch, a must-have for any collection in my opinion!

I also picked up a few tools to enable me to freeze the six o'clock sub dial and also replace the crystal. The most complex job I've ever undertaken on a watch is to change a strap so I was a little apprehensive but thought I would just go for it!

This is the watch when it arrived. The sub dial is in the 12 o'clock position in the photo simply because the time was 12 o'clock! The sub dial follows the hour position and was an obvious difference from the gen.

6DBC032E-A528-430E-9D8B-EFA34DD869A6_zps6gtb0bgp.jpg

Then out came the movement...

BB4077DE-7E97-4761-A1BC-4EDC4E2509F3_zpsagpvgjge.jpg

On went the domed plexi sourced from Cousins. I bought two sizes as they are very cheap and wasn't sure which would fit best. Turns out the 340 was too big and the 338 fitted perfectly but needed to be secured with cement where as the flat sapphire presses into place.

9C4BBA04-B8A2-47C3-9C73-73CF0746F073_zpsosmxfrvp.jpg

And then finally after removing the large transfer gear and adding a drop of cement to the six o'clock sub dial gear to hold it in position everything was reassembled.

I added a khaki/green NATO style strap which works perfectly with the colour of the standard lume. The lume is weak as standard but I've left it as it is as I'm never bothered by strong lume on my watches.

After a few hours careful work with some basic watchmaker's tools I am pleasantly surprised and very happy with the result...

495659E4-FC63-444E-A9EF-EE52A8A8D0CF_zpsjxr3trfs.jpg

All pics taken with an iPhone 5 and a little editing in Instagram afterwards.

Let me know what you think!

Dom

Del

Well done! :clap:

Ishmael
:clap: you got bigger onions than me!

Corv99

Fair play homes!

well done...

Mr Stubbs

Two thumbs up Dom! :beer2:

And not a single pube to be seen after reassembly. Very nicely done sir.

Dommysam

Thank you, thank you!

HeavyKrush

Nice job. Love it when new guys tear right into shit and don't fuck it up.

Simms

Very nice :clap:

chase0224

Awesome job!

glight2000

Looks good. I'll take it!

:-)

JSJ

I think you did a great job mate! Well done :).

Are you aware that the gen Omega plexi is also available from Cousins for not much (£28 I if remember rightly)? It has the Omega logo in the centre.

Mine had a pusher drop out after I had it a while. I found it and did this mod to stop it happening again

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=85006 .

Might be worth you having a peek inside to see if yours is at risk of that.

Dommysam

Are you aware that the gen Omega plexi is also available from Cousins for not much (£28 I if remember rightly)? It has the Omega logo in the centre.

Mine had a pusher drop out after I had it a while. I found it and did this mod to stop it happening again

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=85006 .

Ah, I didn't know you could get the gen plexi so cheap, wish I had done that now!

Thanks for the info on the pusher, very interesting!

JDM180

Plexi has gone up to £37.97 plus vat now :/

JSJ

Swatch Group are going to stop selling them at the end of 2015, along with all other Swatch spares.

Odyseus

Maybe you should have had a go at re-luming at the same time??

pfcdre

nice job, just wish they had a movement that would sort out the 3 oclock and 9 oclock short indicies, that was the biggest let down for why I sold mine, still a fine watch though.

JDM180

Swatch Group are going to stop selling them at the end of 2015, along with all other Swatch spares.

Suppose we will always have the sternkreuz ones at least.

sputim

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=85006 .

Since I intend to do the same build on my own I want to source a gen omega plexi but I only found the sternkreuz so far. May you upload a link from cousins for the omega plexi? Thanks :)

JSJ

Since I intend to do the same build on my own I want to source a gen omega plexi but I only found the sternkreuz so far. May you upload a link from cousins for the omega plexi? Thanks :)

CousinsUK part number PW5139. It's gone up to a stupid price of £38 plus shipping plus VAT compared with what I paid a year ago.

sputim

CousinsUK part number PW5139. It's gone up to a stupid price of £38 plus shipping plus VAT compared with what I paid a year ago.

Found it thanks. Hmm is the difference big between the gen one and the sternkreuz? And which shape of the sternkreuz is the most accurate?

JDM180

Found it thanks. Hmm is the difference big between the gen one and the sternkreuz? And which shape of the sternkreuz is the most accurate?

Ive got both and the difference seems to be the gen is a little taller but other than that they are the same ( and the omega logo of course ) , I did see there was a high dome with a added lip/raise that to me would be exact same as gen but noone seems to order this so played it safe and go the regular HW

Mark9117

Looks great Dommysam! Wish I had the gumption to do the same with mine.

Dommysam

Thanks everyone. It has had a lot of wrist time this last week, really like it!