Sign in to follow this  
jake

New guy that should have been more active before buying...

jake

I tried to write an introduction here before, but I got an error after spending 15 minutes looking up watches I like and typing it. So I'll try it again now, and then add a little issue to the mix...

OK - I am the recently-former owner of a Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic (WV211B.BA0787) that went missing after my bachelor party a couple months ago. I'd had it for about 4 years, so I figure I owned it for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1/day (I've good at rationalizing things like this to myself...)

I've been trying to figure out what to do to hold myself over until I can get this sorted out properly, and the $60 Seiko 5 I bought on Amazon isn't doing it for me. So I had the bright idea to explore the world of replicas, and here I am. The thought was to just get a replica replacement for the Tag, and then maybe find myself some other fun stuff in the process.

So I ordered from Trusty Time - the correct website, per the current trusted dealers list... and yes I know they're not officially "trusted." I got a replacement for the Tag, and for good measure I figured I'd throw in a Rolex Datejust. Then I saw that if I ordered three watches I got free shipping, so I added a cheap Mont Blanc, that I don't think was ever even an actual model, but it looked cool to me :thumbsup2: The reason I chose to order from this site specifically was that the date wheel in the photos of the Tag was white numbers on black - like the genuine version. Most other reps I'd seen were the opposite.

Well my QC photos came from Andrew today, and lo and behold - the date wheel is wrong. (Other than this, I was very impressed with the photos and the QC process, I must say... and if I get this resolved, then it's done its job, quite frankly.) I've emailed him to let him know that I'm not pleased that this is not what was pictured on his site, and that I do not want it. I also let him know that the whole reason for the order was to get this particular watch, and that I could really do without the other two - especially the Mont Blanc abomination. I have not heard back from him yet, but I'm hoping we can work something out. If he can find me the correct Tag, I'd be more than happy, but in any case, I think I'm going to let him send the Rolex... Does anybody have any idea how good a rep it's going to be, coming from him? Looks pretty good in the pics...

So that's my long-winded, 2nd attempt at an introduction. I'll leave you all with a list of my desired watches, and I'll hope the "post" button works this time.

1, 2 and 3) IWC Portuguese

4) Jaeger LeCoultre Master Calendar

5) Baume & Mercier Classima Executive

6) Longines Master Complications

7) Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Phase de Lune

8) Montblanc Timewalker

9) A few Rolexes

10) A few Hamiltons (but I can afford most of them...)

EDIT: Andrew emailed me back litterally seconds after I posted this, and it looks like things are going to work out....

Edited by jake

Member X

Good to hear you should get a result on the datewheel issue :thumbsup2:

Let us know what happens!

Welcome, though :lmao2:

Kiss goodbye to all your money now because once you start buying and you realise how good reps can be, you won't go back to gens ;)

Some of the TAG reps are said to be very good indeed so I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Make sure you post pics when everything arrives :):D

jake
Kiss goodbye to all your money now because once you start buying and you realise how good reps can be, you won't go back to gens :D

Well judging by the list in your signature, that must be true! I'm optimistic, given the pics I was sent this morning. I think I'll be happy with the Datejust (though I wish I would have confirmed with everyone here that Trusty Time was a reasonable place to go for this particular model...) and I was really impressed with the Tag too, knowing what the gen looked like. I was curious to compare the feel, but I guess I won't get the chance unless I find another source with the white-on-black date wheel.

Make sure you post pics when everything arrives ;):thumbsup2:

Sure will :lmao2:

KBH

Datejusts are generally all excellent replicas, especially the Swiss models with sapphire glass.

As for the rest, I have no idea what most of them look like but my first impression is you're looking at a lot of heartache. I find that the more expensive watches and with the more complications, the less likely it is to have a decent rep.

The Portuguese with the seconds at six is a known problem just to start.

JLC master calendar: Day and date function works. All other functions are manual. YUK!

Maurice Lacroix: I doubt it.

Longines: I doubt it.

BM Classica Executive: I doubt it.

Montblanc: available A7750

That's a very quick search. You better start liking Rolex Pam and Omega more. :thumbsup2:

Edit: Trusty Time is fine to deal with. No worries there.

greg_r

Welcome to RWG! Sounds like you're off to a good start. Andrew is reliable if sometimes a little more expensive than our forum dealers.

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse :)

jake

That's one of the few nuggets of information I've picked up so far - and the reason I didn't order one right away. I was wondering if there are any alternatives, or if they ALL have that problem. I've seen something about graphite treatments...? No idea what that's all about.

jake
welcome to the nuthouse :)

Thanks - good to see there are lots of active members here. I'm a member of a Harley Davidson Sportster forum too, and it's BY FAR the most active forum I've ever seen - so that's what I'm used to now...

Other forums I'd wind up asking one question, waiting a week for and answer, and never coming back. But it looks like we're off to a good start here...

Edited by jake

greg_r

That's one of the few nuggets of information I've picked up so far - and the reason I didn't order one right away. I was wondering if there are any alternatives, or if they ALL have that problem. I've seen something about graphite treatments...? No idea what that's all about.

Yes, they all have that problem - the graphite treatment is a temporary fix at best. As a general rule the A7750 with secs@6 is a timebomb. Some guys get lucky and the watch lasts a couple of years following a service before it needs work again - other folks find that they never work more than a couple weeks at a stretch. Luck of the draw but personally I'd avoid.

KBH

They have a new 29j movement where they added extra jewels to the module that changes the second hand location. From what I vaguely remember there was a review of that movement that was not too impressive.

Here it is: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=3156

Here's a review of the AP sec @ 12: http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/113958-impro...at-12-movement/

Note at the bottom: *What about Portuguese and Daytona?

They are very bad designed, a lot worse than AP@12. Just avoid that watches. However, I think we have wrongly diagnosed the problems of these movements. Friction may not be the only reason of malfunctioning.

Member X
Other forums I'd wind up asking one question, waiting a week for and answer, and never coming back. But it looks like we're off to a good start here...

Well, you might get a response on here quickly, but whether it's of any use or just a random reply that takes your thread completely off topic is another matter... :) LoL

dingle

Well, you might get a response on here quickly, but whether it's of any use or just a random reply that takes your thread completely off topic is another matter... :) LoL

:lol:

jake

Well, you might get a response on here quickly, but whether it's of any use or just a random reply that takes your thread completely off topic is another matter... :lol: LoL

That's enough for me... I usually don't have much to lend to the conversation myself anyway.

pollux1

You could always drop in a concepta GEN IWC movement into a portuguese it's worth it in my opinion.

Trusty is fine to deal with, just as others have said he's a bit more expensive but in the early days of collecting

it's well worth it. The DJ is a great rep if you got the ETA/clone model as they're usually better specced.

Oh hi and welcome!

Fiddo

Hello jake! :thumbsup:

Welcome!

jake
You could always drop in a concepta GEN IWC movement into a portuguese it's worth it in my opinion.

Trusty is fine to deal with, just as others have said he's a bit more expensive but in the early days of collecting

it's well worth it. The DJ is a great rep if you got the ETA/clone model as they're usually better specced.

Oh hi and welcome!

The DJ is the ETA version, so I'm excited to see it!

What would a concepta movement run me? Before exploring this world, the portuguese gen was actually going to be my next milestone purchase... as soon as I had an event significant enough to justify it to myself, I was gonna go for it.

pollux1

Oh hi and welcome!

The DJ is the ETA version, so I'm excited to see it!

What would a concepta movement run me? Before exploring this world, the portuguese gen was actually going to be my next milestone purchase... as soon as I had an event significant enough to justify it to myself, I was gonna go for it.

Iirc they're in the region of £450, perhaps slightly less. If it's a Portuguese you're after there is no substitute mate.

Luthier

Just curious... why the hell you buying from dropshipper, if we have much cheaper and much better dealers on list?

Who, by the way, inspect and test every watch before shipping...

Any particular reason?

AllergyDoc
Just curious... why the hell you buying from dropshipper, if we have much cheaper and much better dealers on list?

Any particular reason?

Ease of order. Fast communication, fast shipping. Excellent selection. Superb after sales service if there's a problem. Etc. pay with credit card (safety)

jake

Any particular reason?

Ease of order. Fast communication, fast shipping. Excellent selection. Superb after sales service if there's a problem. Etc. pay with credit card (safety)

All that, plus I'm a total noob... I think I'll give the dealers here a shot for my next purchase, but Doc is right that the familiarity, convenience, and payment options are a big draw. For somebody not fully assimilated to this world, those are key factors.

turnipz

You can search for a thread about "super reps" if you are very concerned about the 1-1.

Luthier
All that, plus I'm a total noob... I think I'll give the dealers here a shot for my next purchase, but Doc is right that the familiarity, convenience, and payment options are a big draw. For somebody not fully assimilated to this world, those are key factors.

Excuse me, but it's all BS. Any of our trusted dealers provide excellent service before and after sales, and what's the point in fast shipping, if you get shit sometimes? Dropshipper never see the watch!!! So, it's hit or miss game.

And credit card "security" option is just ridiculous - our trusted dealers are TRUSTED, because they are not a scammers.

Familiarity??? What familiarity? We know our dealers very well, for years, sometimes personally. Did anyone ever met Josh or Andrew?

jake

Excuse me, but it's all BS. Any of our trusted dealers provide excellent service before and after sales, and what's the point in fast shipping, if you get shit sometimes? Dropshipper never see the watch!!! So, it's hit or miss game.

And credit card "security" option is just ridiculous - our trusted dealers are TRUSTED, because they are not a scammers.

Familiarity??? What familiarity? We know our dealers very well, for years, sometimes personally. Did anyone ever met Josh or Andrew?

I meant familiarity as in familiarity with the process. It's much more comfortable for someone who's never done this before to complete a transaction that looks and feels like any other that you'd do on the internet. Admittedly, if I had done more research here before pulling the trigger I would probably have had no issue with the slightly unorthodox process of buying from one of the forum dealers, but I went with one of the "second teir" trusted folks, so I can't imagine I did THAT bad...

Andrew actually did a great job correcting the problem with the Tag - he's refunded my money for that watch, agreed to a discount on the MB, and shipped for free - even with just the two watches. I don't want to speak too soon, since I am still a ways off from having a product that I'm pleased with in my posession, but customer service-wise, I can't complain at all so far.

I certainly respect your stance here though - my impatience to get my order in and my ignorance to the accepted practices of the community by no means constitute an indictment of those practices, or of the knowledge and experience of the established members and moderators... but jeez, can ya ease up on a new guy?

Edited by jake