SIZES -

46.7mm across bezel, 53.3mm inc crown

17.36mm thick

57.65mm top to bottom

Lugs 22mm

WEIGHT -

240g on metal bracelet

Barbos%20Review%20(4).JPG

CONSTRUCTION + FINISH - Very solid case with good high quality brushed stainless steel to front and mirror polished sides. Deep dished case back with good engraving.

Barbos%20Review%20(7).JPG

BEZEL - Uni directional with deeply engraved markings, nice lumed pearl at 12 "o" clock.

It is solid with no play, makes a quite loud click. Unusual 88 clicks per full revolution

Barbos%20Review%20(13).jpg

Barbos%20Review%20(3).JPG

DIAL - Very nice dark blue sundial which changes colour as you move it around. Markings are very clear batons with a Seiko Monster type 12 Dracula tooth marker. Inner bezel has fine white minute markings with 15m intervals in red numbers. There is a Barbos logo in silver that is much smaller than it looks in the photos and looks fine despite my fears it was going to be large. "Seamaster" is it in underneath in white text. Lower part has a small diver logo, Deep Dive text in white and 1,000m / 3300ft in red text.

Barbos%20Review%20(12).jpg

WATER RESISTANCE - 1000m yes 1,000m not 100m. The construction of it suggests this is possible but who knows if it’s really a 1000m WR watch, its certificate says it is but at that depth you would be dead anyway! I put it in my bath and it’s certainly got a 0.5m WR so that’s good enough for me.

HANDS - I love the big broad hands especially the orange outlines on the minute hand, these are great and very easy to read

LUME - Hands are a bit brighter than dial markings. Initial thoughts were it was not that great and it was a bit disappointing. But it’s not always the initial glow but how long it lasts and it was still viewable in pitch darkness the next morning. So the lume is not nuclear glowing but has lasting power of more than 8 hours which is pretty decent in my opinion.

Barbos%20Review%20(14).JPG

ACCURACY - Well its a Swiss Ronda quartz so its superb as expected though the ticking hand is not as nice as a smooth less accurate auto

STRAP - Supplied on a very nice silicone black rubber strap with a nice large Barbos logo brushed buckle. I have put it on a metal bracelet which i had to extensively modify to get to fit. I had to make the curved end links much wider with a Dremmel and had to make the end link deeper due to the lage size of the watch. It fits ok but there is a gap from the top of the case to the top of the end link. Barbos don’t list a metal bracelet for it so my modded one will suffice. I may well go back to the rubber at some point as I can’t decide what i prefer.

Barbos%20Review%20(11).jpg

Barbos%20Review%20(10).JPG

Barbos Review 15.JPG

PRESENTATION - it comes in an outer Barbos logoed white high quality box, inside is a very solid aluminum case with a nice cushion inside. There is a warranty for 2 years and instructions for the Ronda movement. The packing is very good for such a low price watch. It was delivered in a larger out cardboard box well protected by bubble wrap. The case back and crystal had protective plastic covers.

Barbos%20Review%20(9).JPG

Barbos%20Review%20(8).JPG

OVERALL – I was surprised, it’s a lot better than I expected and if you buy one off their German site in Euros on an auction you can save a fair bit. I paid £ £72.98 + £11.90 Postage against the UK ebay buy it now price of £115. For this kind of money you can’t go wrong if you want a solid diver’s style watch. My verdict is it’s a bargain, well built and worth every penny.

Now all I need is to find a lake deep enough to test that WR :giggle:

Any questions or comments are as always welcome.

1 jump-happy.gif

Edited by scorpion

NFleischer

That's a very nice deal- congrats.

corsa

Good score Scorp. Bargain at that price.

There's a few threads on the interwebs regarding throwing the Quartz out and chucking an auto in them.

scorpion

Good score Scorp. Bargain at that price.

There's a few threads on the interwebs regarding throwing the Quartz out and chucking an auto in them.

Yep that was my plan as i preferred the look of this one to the similar auto that was slightly dearer. I even have a spare auto movement but having worn it for a week i like the 100% accuracy and the tick i thought would annoy me is actually not an issue. Its a change from all my autos sweeps and in fact the only diver i own that is not an auto so the Ronda stays in it - for now :giggle:

corsa

I understand exactly my friend, I have this Marathon JSAR quartz, it's my go to watch when I'm in a hurry.

IMG_6047.jpg

BaggyPants

I like the look of the auto. The quartz is a nice watch too :)

Daywatch

Thanks for sharing. Bit of bargain at that price and the looks are fine.

trailboss99
:Thinking: Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make that bezel glow either . . .

scorpion

:Thinking: Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make that bezel glow either . . .

Yes you are right its deep cut and i could fill it with lume and then remove excess easily and that was my plan. But the finish inside the holes is really nice.

I am unsure how they make these bezels maybe its laser cut or water jetted but the inside looks like its been shot-blasted and looks really good - see close up.

Barbos deep engraving.JPG

Edited by scorpion

Frazzle

Bloody hell!!! That does seem like an absolute bargain for that sort of watch!

scorpion

Cheers Frazzle - yep it is a great deal even if you paid the buy it now price. One point i did not mention is they ship from Berlin in Germany so some members might have to pay an import tax if it got stopped by customs.

Paparolf

Top watch for such a bargain price.

Bash64

Nice! That bad boy is a beast!

scorpion

Extra photos taken in better light than my first lot..............

Barbos Photos (1).JPG

Barbos Photos (21).JPG

Barbos Photos (13).JPG

Barbos Photos (3).JPG

RichardMiami

Nice pick up Scorp! Wear it in good health always!!! :D

sbryantgb

Extra photos taken in better light than my first lot..............

Barbos%20Photos%20(1).JPG

Barbos%20Photos%20(21).JPG

Barbos%20Photos%20(13).JPG

Barbos%20Photos%20(3).JPG

What are your thoughts on this watch now, the reason I asked is I just picked up one on Ebay for what seems like a good price. Are you still happy with the purchase? Any thoughts on the watch after a month of ownership?

Steve

Mike on a bike

Well found this one..............

$_57.JPG

Calling me. bangin.gif $160 conus.

Mike on a bike

Never was much for green dials but this sharp.

$_57.JPG

sbryantgb

I think the Nautilus is probably the most handsome followed by the Stingray Blue and then the Seamaster, there is another I have seen once called the Robur. Keep an eye on this guy (Barbos-trend) you can usually pick up a watch for a lot less than his buy now, if you watch for his auctions :)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=9&pub=5575112405&toolid=10001&campid=5337659402&customid=&icep_uq=Barbos+watch&icep_sellerId=&icep_ex_kw=&icep_sortBy=12&icep_catId=281&icep_minPrice=&icep_maxPrice=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

scorpion

Funnily enough I have just been to the post office to pick up my 2nd Barbos an Auto Marine Blue.

I will post a few picks and a review shortly.