Sign in to follow this  
herbva

Which AP 15400 (Movement) Should I Buy?

herbva

I’ve owned just about every diver & sport watch made at one time or another and now (thanks to you guys) have the itch to try an AP 15400. I’ve been obsessing over what all the TDs have to offer and want opinions on the best option – Miyota 9015, A2824, A23j unspecified movement, and one TD is offering an ETA 2824-2. I see quite a range in prices that don’t seem to make much sense. I’ve read numerous reviews and the current model with the Miyota 9015 seems quite nice (as long as the bezel had been correctly installed). The last watch I had with a Miyota wasn’t that great – I remember the movement didn’t hack and the seconds hand sweep was not smooth. So, I have to assume the 9015 is a much improved movement. I would greatly appreciate your views on which one I should buy and from whom. Thanks guys!

rawbaws

I just ordered the miyota version. I'm less interested in nit picking about tells and more interested in the reliability of the movement. You can't go wrong with a 9015.

Yes the 8215 is not the prettiest movement to watch due to indirect drive of second hand but still reliable as far as I know

By the way you posted this on the wrong category.. Not a review

myaz

The last watch I had with a Miyota wasn’t that great – I remember the movement didn’t hack and the seconds hand sweep was not smooth.

The 9015 is supposed to be a hacking movement with 28.8K BPH, hence pretty darn smooth. Hard to go wrong with it. The difference between 2824 and 2824-2 is something in the keyless works, just a minor thing. I wouldn't get the 23J. As for me, I went for the AP14790 with a 2824-2 (a lot less expensive, smaller dial and closed case back...appearance of the movement doesn't matter). You'll enjoy that AP15400 either way, the movement will be the biggest tell, any dealer can get it for you, pick the one whose policies you like the best, they're ALL trusted.

PhillyRock

The Miyota movement is now in a few other Reps as well.

For me, personally I LOVE the Miyota. It's rock solid, dependable,

can be serviced and replacement parts accessed. The Miyota movement is

silent and smooth. The power reserve is VERY good.

I seriously believe it's almost as good as a ETA movement.

I also own a few Android automatics with Miyota hearts. They take a serious beating

and function forever. My AD166 (Miyota movement) is 7 years old, worn as a daily beater for almost 5 years

and still runs 7 seconds fast per 24 hours without it ever being serviced.

rawbaws

I also own a few Android automatics with Miyota hearts. They take a serious beating

and function forever. My AD166 (Miyota movement) is 7 years old, worn as a daily beater for almost 5 years

Yes I wouldn't be surprised to see a 9015 still running perfectly after 10-15 years without a service

sunbites

They are loud for me! ;-D (got one in my Patek!)