Sign in to follow this  
porschespeedster

Only One Big Flaw Left On Panerai Reps...

porschespeedster

and for some reason, once you see it, you can't un-see it.

It's the lume application on the 'sausage' dials.

The gens have sort of cuts in the dial, depressions, that the lume fills up.

The reps have piles of lume that protrude from the dial.

Once you start seeing this (and lots of times you have to see it on-wrist to see the difference...you can't unsee it!

Only sandwich dialed reps for me...for now...

Someone enterprising ought to make a dial...the old DSN dials came the closest to this...

DIALLUMEAPPGENcopiar_zps870526cd.jpg

towtrucker

damm your right didnt notice this before now

LightGeek

I hate this thread...

ShovelnTC

There's always someone who spoils the party!

Daywatch

Missing the comparison-shot to the rep dial. Do You mean all sausage dials or this specific model?

What should I do with my 212 now? :footinmouth:

1024x8_2243c9.jpg

PAM212_1198c.jpg

ALE7575

People many times ask me why the sausage dials as PAM 005 or 000 are not on the list of my preferred PAMs

PAM 000 and PAM 005 and other sausage dials are voluntarily removed from the list by myself (due to the problem commented by the OP)

It is a “technical taste” matter

I will repeat below a post I have published some time ago in RWI and in RG:

TEXT:

We all liked sausage dials many time ago, but nowadays the level of current reps is very high and we knows now much more about the flaws than some years ago. The more I study the structure of reps sausage dials the less I like them. It is not a matter of fonts or thickness inaccuracies, although it is existent some times, but a matter of lume structure

As above said the main problem of REP sausage dials is not font accuracy, is the own structure of application of the lume material

Rep makers are using, from the beginning, a completely different structure of lume material application. Therefore rep sausage dials can be never accurate.

Gen sausage dial is not at all sausage shaped: the dial surface has a deep cavity with upper edges clearly rounded and the lume material is applied filling that cavity, but the lume material remains always flat and a bit under the dial surface.

Rep sausage dial has a less deep cavity with less evident rounded upper edges and the lume material is applied raising the dial surface and with a clear "sausage" shape. More or less like showed in below pic.

SAUSAGELUMESTRUCTUREdetailGEN-REPCOMPARISONcopiar_zps71286f01.jpg

Below pics, show clearly all above said. See the important differences (GEN I don't remember the source, REP is from Bozz)

SAUSAGELUMESTRUCTUREGEN-REPCOMPARISONcopiar_zpsb3d63435.jpg

Some time ago I liked rep PAM sausage dials, nowadays, after studying a little the matter I'm more and more disappointed by them. Indeed I never recommend these Super reps like 005 and 000 due to this inaccurate structure of the lume. But this is a taste matter as always. PAM 390 and PAM Boutique (417, 416....) are almost the same, but, although they have similar flaws, the sausage is a bit flatter for some reason, sausage is less evident, and these watches have other attractions like coloured lume, PIG logo, coloured dial..etc... you are no focussing the attraction in the lume. See the fantastic pics by Klockis in our review made in cooperation for PAM Boutique:

http://www.replica-w...5.html?t=145665

you can realize in lume structure Section that the lume application is not exact as gen but is better than in PAM 000 and PAM 005 above showed.

I prefer a flaw in the movement better than a flaw in the dial (we are accepting everyday very inaccurate decorated movements). I repeat this is a taste matter .

But I respect all opinions and many sausage reps are indeed awesome

Above said is just my thoughts

ALE

Edited by ALE7575

DR3M3L

And I wanted to get myself a 005.... :facepalm: Wish I never saw this thread......

Realism

I guess everyone walks around with a loupe these days

ALE7575

Unfortunately that can be seen under the naked eye.

Differences are noticeable.

Some years ago, this flaw could be perfectly acceptable, nowadays it is not allowed at the current level of PAM reps

I'm many times , many time ago, thinking about downgrade the evaluation of those sausage reps in PAM GUIDE . We should not to consider them as Super reps following the current evaluation criteria.

ALE

Edited by ALE7575

ALE7575

And I wanted to get myself a 005.... :facepalm: Wish I never saw this thread......

Sorry Joran for contributing to ruin your planning. I hope you will find some new options in PAM GUIDE

ALE

Realism

right because strangers walk around within touching distance to each other...

and they will call you out when they see your watches...if they even know WTH is a Panerai

:rofl:

i'd still say - buy whatever you want... no one knows... even if they know... most strangers aren't borned douchebags...chances of getting called out is so low

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=96182

nev848

Most people have never heard of Panerai so who is going to spot a tell such as this?

porschespeedster

this was not written because i felt very self-conscious and worried about being 'called-out' next time i sneak into the Gen Only PAM Bros Clubhouse.

it is written simply because it exists.

mach19

I think it could be easy to fix with a good relume and an accurate application of the product

gtwc

Nice informative post.

Must be (subconsciously) why I have only ever bought sandwich dials.

The sausage ones just looked 'wrong' for no specific reason - now I know why.

Thanks.

Dochere2

I think the new updated dials on the latest HF models like the 000 and 005 are going to open up a good deal of options to those who have shied away from sausage dials in the past. They are as close as I have seen to gen on a rep...

RUSH2112

I appreciate the factual nature of this as I didn't know it before but it won't bother me.

Dendo

Love the level of expertise on this forum, even if it rises above dial and creates a new OCD focus :lol:

billanddog

Thanks for sharing this. I am definitely going for the sandwich dial now.

black263

I'm very fortunate here, in that I couldn't give a toss about the degree if accuracy in reproduction. If I like the look of a watch, I buy it. If I don't, I won't buy it, regardless of whether gen or rep, or how accurate a rep is. Some of my favourite watches are fantasies, so no resemblance to a gen whatever, but I like them.

cubik_rubik
Most people have never heard of Panerai so who is going to spot a tell such as this?

I will spot it...every time I look for the time :/

Perhaps it's some kind of OCD, but if I know of the flaw, I can't unsee it...

I don't care if others see it.

wanlo

It's ok, I think everyone wearing a rolex or a pam, albeit genuine or not, is a fake anyway. :giggle: :giggle:

BigBuys

The PAM 005 is, and has been, one of my favorites and it will remain so. Having said that, the sandwich dials have always been preferred as have the 1950 cases.

If one of you guys conjures up a procedure to "fix" the flaw then I am in.

aldo_watch

mate, sorry, not hust "one"... I got 2 gen Panerai (pam 111 and pam 114) and let me say that rep are pretty good but, look at the movement first (models with shown moviment).

The Wheels are differemt and engrave as well.

Back on dial. Fonts and lume are wrong. Bettet "tost" dial, believe me.

Corum is pretty different (slight) in gen model, case in certain pma different as well...

mysterio

mate, sorry, not hust "one"... I got 2 gen Panerai (pam 111 and pam 114) and let me say that rep are pretty good but, look at the movement first (models with shown moviment).

The Wheels are differemt and engrave as well.

Back on dial. Fonts and lume are wrong. Bettet "tost" dial, believe me.

Corum is pretty different (slight) in gen model, case in certain pma different as well...

I think it's better to explain some of those points with pictures.