Sign in to follow this  
part_timer

Advice on a Maxi dial Sub - correct or not?

part_timer

Hi folks!

I don’t post often here, but an avid reader and watch pic ogler! :D

I’m trying to source a pre-ceramic date submariner with black bezel.

I just need some reassurance before I go ahead and buy it.

I have bought from the dealer previously and know they are a top notch seller.

I sent a pic of the16610 Sub that I was after, and here’s a pic I’ve been sent back today. This is from the noobfactory.

rolexsubmary01.jpg

Well this is a Maxi Dial isn’t it, only issued with the last pre ceramic LV subs?

So the last pre ceramic black bezel Sub didn’t have the maxi dial? Am I right?

I have bought a few Asian movement Subs from Nakira and they all have the non maxi dial.

It’s possible to swap the green bezel on the LV for a black, so I suppose I could say I’ve done this.

I’m pushing the boat out on this one with an ETA 2836-2 so I don’t want to pay top whack for something with a glaring error.

What say you fine fellows of the RWG forum? Go with the swapped LV bezel insert story? I don’t want to be petty and create hassle for the dealer, I just want to get it right.

Thanks in advance for any tips! ;)

Edited by part_timer

bandityo

it would be the LV edition with a black bezel swapped out for the green one. That would be correct.

which dealer are you looking at for this one?

Ska

Just a quick couple of things.

1. The last Pre-ceramic subs DID have the maxi dial.

2. That is NOT a noobfactory sub. They don't exist anymore and the term should now be universally ignored.

3. I'd put cash on that being from Mary.

part_timer
Just a quick couple of things.

1. The last Pre-ceramic subs DID have the maxi dial.

2. That is NOT a noobfactory sub. They don't exist anymore and the term should now be universally ignored.

3. I'd put cash on that being from Mary.

Thanks for your replies guys! :D

1. I've been scanning the web unsuccesfully so far, for reference pics to confirm this, not seen any yet apart from the LV ones.

2. I was told it would be sourced from the noobfactory.

3. Yup ;)

So you reckon the last black bezeled pre ceramic Subs did have the Maxi dials then? Do you know of any sources on teh internetz where I could check? I can't find anywhere to validate this.

From the other pics I've got it's a fine looking watch

rolexsubmary02.jpg

Edited by part_timer

KBH

I can't answer the question about the last pre ceramics having maxi dials but I will say that I like the look of it even if it's not 100% correct. I would think that the dealer could just as easily swap it for one with the regular dial if you asked.

And it looks like the "new" Noobfactory watches that Timeshops has been selling, even if the real Noobfactory is long gone.

part_timer

Well it’s been an interesting afternoon of research on the Maxi dials!

I can’t find a single pre ceramic sub that was issued with one. However I was glad to find plenty of examples of the LV with a swapped black bezel

rolexsubgwyrddaducywirmo.jpg

The Gen. LV’s seem to have variation too! The ones with engraved rehaut have the “Swiss Made†closer together, the one’s with plain rehaut seem to have more of a gap between the Swiss and Made. Unless there are examples that I haven’t come across yet! Is this common knowledge?

So this one I’ll probably end up buying will have the engraved rehaut with the incorrect style of “Swiss and Madeâ€, hmm becoming very anal aren’t I! :cheerleader2:

Well twas interesting researching none the less! :)

Now time for a deep breath before placing the order..

KBH

Look at the bright side. You'll have much better lume when you wake up in the middle of the night and wonder what time it is.

Eiderdaus

never heard that the lst pre ceramic subs have a maxi dial. but i have a a WM9 V1 16610LV with a black insert swapped because i like the look of the big markers and i know gens that have done the same. can you post the link of the seller i would like to check the watch, looks good.

part_timer
never heard that the lst pre ceramic subs have a maxi dial. but i have a a WM9 V1 16610LV with a black insert swapped because i like the look of the big markers and i know gens that have done the same. can you post the link of the seller i would like to check the watch, looks good.

After buying noobmariners from Nakiraa for some friends, I thought I'd get a decent one for myself. Was a bit perplexed when the pics of a Maxi dial Sub were sent

I asked for the "best Rolex Submariner rep ...with ETA movement .. saphire crystal..best lume etc I do not want the new one with the ceramic bezel." And that's what came back :)

The seller is watchinternational on the forum here.

Edited by part_timer

trailboss99

A bit of a history lesson is in order here.

Once upon a time a group of wholesalers in Thailand got together to make the best sub anyone had ever seen outside of Rolex.

They sourced the very best parts anyone had seen, a very close case and a great dial among with a bracelet that had all the correct markings and a diver's extension that actually worked, unlike most of the ones around then. These guys tyhen sold said subs to the two guys working retail out of Thailand, TTK and Narikaa. Very soon a forum members who goes by the name of Pugs christened them "noobmariners" as they were being advertised as coming from a "new Factory" by TTK. These guys went on to produce a pair of TT subs and a Yachtmaster using parts from the same suppliers, all very good reps at a very good price. The dials on these are still regarded as about as good as it gets.

After a time, "noobmariners" began to appear everywhere on every seller's site. Most of these had no relation to the "real" noob in the slightest but were just dealers jumpimng on the Noob bandwagon. Some how ever, did. These were watches being made by the factory that supplied the parts for the very first Noobs, the ones made in Thailand. This place is in China and is known in the trade as the "noobfactory". This is different to the mob in TH that made the Noobmariner famous but uses the same case from the same moulds as the original. I know this to be a fact, I even know who made the moulds. This same factory makes some very nice Pams as well as the DSSD in question here.

The lesson here is there is a difference betwixt "noobmariner" and "noobfactory". Two different terms but both are correct when used in context. The 100% dinky di noobmariner no longer exists, what we have is it's close cousin the Noobfactory Sub (and DSSD etc). This has been the subject of much confusion over the last cpl of years and I put a lot of effort into finding out the truth of the matter. I have conversed with folk who know the story, I have spoken with people from the Noobfactory and with the people who made.make the dies.

Noobfactory also make the cases for WM9's watches and used to make the SSD one as well. While it is correct to call this watch a "noobfactory" product it (or more precisely the Sub) is not a "noobmariner" per se. Got it now?

Col.

part_timer

Thanks for the intriguing history lesson trailboss, I read your reply twice, it's all sinking in! B)