Sign in to follow this  
scoobydamndoo

IWC Mark XVI - need some input and advice, pls

scoobydamndoo

Hiya, I'm looking for a IWC Mark XVI and found a piece that looks good to me - perhaps to good... I have two concerns, that I'd love to get some input from the community on:

1) the dealer is not on the TD-list, however he/they seem to be endorsed by other replica forums.

2) I feel that the dealer is kinda "overselling" the watch - calling it "The Best Mark XVI ever made, 1:1 replicated from a genuine sample"

check it out: http://www.pure-time.com/product/mark-xvi-11-best-edition-v2-ss-black-dial-a2892-on-black-leather-strap/

Any input would be appreciated :)

Cheers! Scoob

BadPickle

If you want support from here, buy from the TD's here. Send a few of them a PIC of the watch and a brief email, they will be able to source whatever is available.

Easy.

BadPickle

The "overselling" wording is just sales bollox, do some research about the watch here, there's probably a review somewhere, it'll explain all about it

scoobydamndoo

The "overselling" wording is just sales bollox, do some research about the watch here, there's probably a review somewhere, it'll explain all about it

Cheers mate, I've done that - but couldn't find one with the specific motion or execution. Thx for your thought tho - will contact some TD:s here!

BadPickle

Cheers mate, I've done that - but couldn't find one with the specific motion or execution. Thx for your thought tho - will contact some TD:s here!

Maybe ask a dealer, If you're looking for a particular model/movement, ask them for it

black263

If you want to go with that TD join the other forum as well. That way you get protection from their mods if there is a problem.

scoobydamndoo

If you want to go with that TD join the other forum as well. That way you get protection from their mods if there is a problem.

Thx, mate, I didn't realize that the mods on the forum could help out if there was a problem, just read up on that thread now.

Looking at Perfect Clone atm :)

JSJ

When you start getting into this a bit, things like the datewheel font and the marker thickness make a difference. The 2892 movement is sweet as well.

However, only the most anal of us are that bothered (I am) and at first you will probably be happy with a cheaper version. Be sure that nearly nobody you ever meet will have even heard of IWC.

Once you catch the datewheel font virus and similar, you may never be really happy with any watch, even a gen which may also have flaws and will cost 20 to 50 times as much in IWC's case.

Good luck and welcome to the slippery slope. You may want to bail out now before it's too late. But I doubt if you will.

black263

Thx, mate, I didn't realize that the mods on the forum could help out if there was a problem, just read up on that thread now.

Looking at Perfect Clone atm :)

You need to read more before you buy. Work your way through the links below. It will save you a lot of heartache later and hopefully stop you appearing a dick in your posts. If you join RWI you need to read their rules and noob info as well. You will see the two are identical and totally different. And as you read more you will see that's not a contradiction.

scoobydamndoo

The journey has begun - in contact with Joshua at Perfect Clone - found an even better piece.

Cheers for the advice, I'll make sure to repay it with a rewiew of the watch :)

JSJ

What piece are you looking at now?

SackOHammers

With some variance, and while not 100% true, it's often said that all the TDs can get the same stuff.

What that means is this.... there are factories that manufacture these reps. And most of the TDs will have relationships with those factories. It's why, when you see a rep of watch available, you'll see it available at most TDs. Now, there are some exceptions. Some TDs shrug off some factories or vice versa.

It also gets said here a lot that you should pick your TD, then pick your watch. Picking a TD you're comfortable with is an important part of the process. For example, you might contact a few TD here such as ToroBravo, WatchFinder, WatchInternational, or any of the others. Send them a picture of what you want (even a competitor TD's site) and ask the questions you want... about movement, etc. As you get more experience, you'll be asking questions about loom, bracelets, date wheels, fonts, etc. That comes with time and experience around here. But make sure when you contact a TD, that you're serious about buying that watch. Don't jerk anyone around.

scoobydamndoo
What piece are you looking at now?

Going for IWC Mark XVI from perfect clone. Will be back with pics when I get the piece

scoobydamndoo

@SackOHammers - thx for the input! Was indeed eager to get my hands on this piece and with some great advice from peeps here i think i asked the right questions and got good response from a TD.

Gonna take more time on research and such for my next piece (prolly a JLC)

porschespeedster

Good choice with the MK XVI, its basically a super rep.

Similar movement as gen and the AR and dials are very very close.

Only real 'tells' are the crown, and possibly the dial/DW being very slightly different from gen....

All that stuff can literally only be seen if you side-by-side it with one from an AD....and even then sometimes only with a loupe!

Asaf

-

Edited by Asaf