Sign in to follow this  
Balad1

What exactly is a "Synthetic Sapphire Crystal"?

Balad1

What exactly is a "Synthetic Sapphire Crystal"?

I see this term used on some of the less expensive watches.

trailboss99

:drool: A bit of an issue this one. Strictly speaking a "Synthetic Sapphire Crystal" should be lab grown sapphire but some of the dealers use this term to meen mineral glass. The way to tell is if the dealer is using "sapphire" to describe crystals as well as a "Synthetic Sapphire" (usually with no mention of mineral glass anywhere) it will be glass, if the terms used are "Synthetic Sapphire" and "mineral glass" then the Synthetic Sapphire will be just that.

Col.

Brightlight

What Trailboss said. Also all saphire crystals, assuming they are saphire and not mineral, are synthetic. You don't get natural saphire crystals for watches.

nicnjon

hi, which dealer here sell sapphire crystal for 44mm Pam casing.

Thanks

Member X

Ask Getat or Jackson Tse in the Trusted Dealers list :) (although getat is very slow at the moment!)

Balad1

Thanks for the information, I'll look closer at dealer descriptions when I see that term being used.

Edited by Balad1

PGL

I always wondered the same thing. Thanks for asking Balad. And thanks for answering trailboss. :D

nicnjon
Ask Getat or Jackson Tse in the Trusted Dealers list :rofl: (although getat is very slow at thye moment!)

Thanks very much !!

AllergyDoc
Sapphire crystals are currently the best and most durable material available for watch crystals. They are synthetically made and rate 9 on the Moh's scale of hardness. The only thing harder, and capable of scratching a sapphire crystal, is a diamond which rates a 10 on the Moh's scale of hardness. Synthetic Sapphire (AL2O3), is produced from aluminum oxide. It is much less expensive than natural sapphire but is absolutely identical regarding structure, properties, and quality.

http://www.waldaninternational.com/sapphire.shtml

Member BME had an excellent post about synthetic sapphire, but it was either on the old RWG or I can't find it.

This doesn't answer the question: are you getting sapphire or mineral?