Sign in to follow this  
wombosi

Modding 'Basic' rep VS Buying 'Ultimate' rep

wombosi

Since a couple of days I'm a proud owner of a basic ($99) but nice quality 111h rep from Robert. However, as the time passes I'm getting more and more interested in mods like for example, a canon pinion fix, cg pin fix, more gen like dail and numeral color, etc.

But on the other hand, another question rises in my head, I see guys spending around $300 on modifications on a basic rep, which equals a total cost for the watch of around $400. My question: Why should one spend $300 on modifications instead of buying an 'ultimate' rep for about the same (or even less) amount of money?

Is it the fun involved in modding, or are there simply no actual 'ultimate' reps available? Which have a close to gen dail (LH or maybe DSN like) have a fixed canon pinion, fixed cg pin, etc.

I'm interested to hear your views on this!

Edited by wombosi

houndoggie

the new PAM 288 is pretty damn ultimate right out of the box and under $300.

houndoggie

as far as why mod?

It's a fucking disease.

Member X

:lol:

I think sometimes you start and then you can't stop, and end up spending more than just buying an 'ultimate' from the start :rofl: but a lot of people just enjoy the modding process :D

If I was any good with my hands I would have started by now lol

(First case is in the post now - transfer of my ebay cheapie guts into it to be carried out soon... :P )

sconehead

I modded my PWC 111 with a high cp (buttons from Jackson Tse) a DSN dial and handset from a member sale (I think David san does them for $80) a Francisco 'PANERAI' movement decal (10 euros for 3 I think) and HD's cg mod (free, just follow his tuto)

Good fun and fairly easy to do...ignore these naysayers...:clap:

wombosi
I modded my PWC 111 with a high cp (buttons from Jackson Tse) a DSN dial and handset from a member sale (I think David san does them for $80) a Francisco 'PANERAI' movement decal (10 euros for 3 I think) and HD's cg mod (free, just follow his tuto)

I probably will be doing some of these mods in the near future too. What was your starting watch, a $99 PAM 111 with or without swan neck?

Do you have a link to some pictures of the final result?

sconehead

I probably will be doing some of these mods in the near future too. What was your starting watch, a $99 PAM 111 with or without swan neck?

Do you have a link to some pictures of the final result?

No decent ones but I'll take a few...well attempt to...:lol:

wombosi

Can't hardly wait! :lol:

wombosi

UPDATE: SH, how about the pics mate? Or did I miss something? :)

NFleischer

Being abit clumsy and lazy, I'd rather get the better rep up front. Why waste time and money

sending the watch all over the place. For about $400 Sead;Vac, Cartel (Ultimates) or DSN will send you a really nice watch.

You may need to relume the Cartel watches, main flaw. Sead has killer lume, DSN is good too.