Sign in to follow this  
JDM180

ST19 / Speedmaster hand setting tips

JDM180

Hi guys

Will probably be doing the subdial freeze on my moonwatch today and just wondered if there are any tips for replacing the hands so that everything lines up correctly using the chrono ( larger second hand , 3 o clock subdial etc ) . Or is it just a case of resetting everything before removal and refitted by eye ?

P.S i noticed the movment dosnt hack , should i wait till the power reserve runs out or is it ok to set while running.

JDM180

Damn this thing is going out the window soon ! , I have spent the last two hours trying to get the chrono second hand to reset to the right position but really think it is bloody impossible ! Having a break and tidy up to clear my head

JDM180

Its now resetting to different positions each time :(

JDM180

Looks like a break was what I needed , came back to it and its sorted now

Left Coast Guy

Sorry friend....we have all been there at some point! Glad you got it fixed up. I was working on a PAM253 a few weeks back and had the same problem re-fitting the chrono seconds hand, when I finally got it trued to zero, I gave it some reserve to test the chrono and it reset to :25....no idea how it got activated in the first place!

markeym3

OK so any pics and how did you do it

JDM180

There you go :

aa37e58d-b1c4-49a6-bbd3-5cad1ef8ec01_zps5zzzxeyu.jpg

Edited by JDM180

flyr

Great job! :thumbsup2:

JDM180

Thanks buddy , Also fitted genuine Omega plexi - I dont know what it is with plexi''s but simply holding the damn things seems to put hairline scratches on them.

SSTEEL

Congrats for sticking with it. You did well.! I have experienced many a challenge with hands refitting on reps, problems with the tubes being too big and needing broaching, and even tubes being loose in the hands. Don't get ne started on the amount of times I have found hands to be glued on some reps from the factory too!

flyr

Thanks buddy , Also fitted genuine Omega plexi - I dont know what it is with plexi''s but simply holding the damn things seems to put hairline scratches on them.

Looks like the value of my shares in "Polywatch" is going to go up ! :lmao:

JDM180

Thanks ! , Dont get me started on hands lol ! Ive lost hours on non fitting second hands when swapping out supposed like for like movements.

Oh not even poly watch saves me , its almost as if the damn cloth scratches it while rubbing it in ! ( tried microfiber/glasses cleaning cloths ect )

Was just eyeing it up just after that post and noticed a tiny finger print mark when the sun hit so just had to strip it back down to clean that lol

Edited by JDM180

JDM180

Tell you something I did notice when doing this , It was really tough to get any of my hand remover tools under those subdial hands , even just the dial protectors only just got under there. I have a set of levers that I had ground thin and polished smooth again and even those only just managed.

SSTEEL

Use cotton wool with polywatch, not cloths.

Back to the hands, I am guessing you may of experienced the PSO clone, aka Z2 which looks like an ETA clone, but has some unexchangeable parts such as hands, stem, rotor, etc.

JDM180

Even without poly watch microfibre cloth seems to mark it ?

Been 21J's I've had hand trouble with

SSTEEL

Maybe your microfibre cloth needs washing? I have several cloths, from microfibre, to nanofibre, right through to extreme fluffy fibre which assists final stage of hand polishing, reason I mention all these is they get washed at least once a week.

JDM180

Picked up a gen clasp for it too :

7D20C1E0-ACE2-4D0D-9BD8-D93B197BFFBA_zpsvckfbrtu.jpg

Irishcain

Very nice.

SSTEEL

Congrats on the genuine clasp :)