Sign in to follow this  
gez45

Why bother with AR?

gez45

Hi, why, if nobody likes the blue-ish hue do the factories put it on? only for us to spend time and money to remove it, also wouldn't it save them time?, did try a search but came up with nothing. Personally I could live longer with a clear crystal than the blue hue, what about you?.

wombosi

If I'm right, the gen 111 actually has a purplish-blue hue to it too?

Edited by wombosi

KeNnY

I personally like the blue or green or reg or yellow hue, it gives the watch an different look on different angle

Silverspeed

I like a good AR coating...it makes the dial pop out.

Many reps have horrible blue AR coating, in that case it will look better to just remove the AR on the outside of the crystal...free of cost just a bit of elbow grease. A cape Cod cloth will remove the AR easily.

There are many different watch AR coatings, blue-purple, blue and colourless. The yellow/green AR is probably an optician coating applied on a watch crystal. The blue-purple AR can be found on many gen watches to....for instance Breitling, IWC. There a few modders that offer aftermarket AR coating like FineDD and Chieftang. I had an IWC with double AR from Chief which was very good and 99% colourless but like many aftermarket AR the crystal picked up dust specs very easily.

Tressles61

Well said Silverspeed. You can also equate it to buying sunglasses without polarization.

houndoggie

I like AR.

Gen Planet Ocean has fantastic AR.

Most other watches I have are single AR (so they say).

The one thing worse than the blue tint rep AR is the purple tint Lum Tec AR.

PGL

What does AR stand for??? Sorry... I am an illiterate... :lol:

wombosi
What does AR stand for??? Sorry... I am an illiterate... :lol:

An antireflective or anti-reflection (AR) coating

Inushuk

AR for Anti Reflecting :lol:

PGL

Ok, thanks guys. I didn't think of that :clap:

gez45

Many reps have horrible blue AR coating, in that case it will look better to just remove the AR on the outside of the crystal...free of cost just a bit of elbow grease. A cape Cod cloth will remove the AR easily.

There are many different watch AR coatings, blue-purple, blue and colourless. The yellow/green AR is probably an optician coating applied on a watch crystal. The blue-purple AR can be found on many gen watches to....for instance Breitling, IWC. There a few modders that offer aftermarket AR coating like FineDD and Chieftang. I had an IWC with double AR from Chief which was very good and 99% colourless but like many aftermarket AR the crystal picked up dust specs very easily.

Hi Silverspeed, you say it's easy to remove the the blue AR on the outside with a Cape Cod cloth, help me out here would you, to be blunt I don't know my arse from my elbow with all this. (A) from posts I've seen, people remove it from the inside with a dremel,so is it either inside OR outside, or on both at the same time?. (:clap: how could I tell if it's on the outside so that I can remove it myself ? cheers.

Silverspeed

Hi Silverspeed, you say it's easy to remove the the blue AR on the outside with a Cape Cod cloth, help me out here would you, to be blunt I don't know my arse from my elbow with all this. (A) from posts I've seen, people remove it from the inside with a dremel,so is it either inside OR outside, or on both at the same time?. (:lol: how could I tell if it's on the outside so that I can remove it myself ? cheers.

Double AR has a coating on both sides, usually when removing the outside AR most of the blue-purple hue will be gone. Besides if you want to remove the AR on the inside you'll have to take out the movement which is a lot more work B)

If you have a cape cod cloth just polish the outside of the crystal for about 5 to 10 min and you'll see soon enough if the blue -purple hue is much less or even gone

Del
I like AR.

Gen Planet Ocean has fantastic AR.

Most other watches I have are single AR (so they say).

The one thing worse than the blue tint rep AR is the purple tint Lum Tec AR.

I actually like the blue tint on my PO :) Gives it another dimension when the light hits it IMHO :pollox:

pb134322v2.jpg