Sign in to follow this  
Duzza

Rolex DSSD Pearl Upgrade and Bezel Platinumization

mespendez

The platinum Mod looks fantastic. I'll have to give it a try myself. None of the other paint mods I tried looked as good.

kennycoder

I have already ordered the paint (thanks Duzza). Hopefully next week I will be able to do the mod on the reghulkmariner.

kennycoder

- Apply dull cost to protect the acrylic

Dull coat is like an lacquer? The one women use for nails is ok?

Duzza

No, you need a lacquer that is not a gloss finish. Any model or hobby store should sell a matt (dull) lacquer.

MetalMickey

It looks fantastic, I wish I had the patience (and the steady hand)!

mach19

So almost a week in and a trip to my local AD later I am very pleased with the colour of this paint. Having bought the Testors paint that is recommended elsewhere very often I believe my mix is more true to the genuine Rolex platinum colour. Its also more widely available (in the UK at least) than Testors paints

For anyone thinking of doing this mod I highly recommend this mix:

Vallejo Metal Medium (2 drops)

Vallejo Natural steel (a very small amount from the end of a toothpick until you achieve the platinum hue)

Airbrush thinner (1 drop)

Ensure you re-mix every 30 seconds or so.

Once dry, recommend 2 days. Seal with Testors dullcoat, either straight or let down very slightly with a lacquer thinner.

Tried this on mine a couple months ago. Will post pics.

Those paints are really good but a bit of a bitch to apply.

kennycoder

No, you need a lacquer that is not a gloss finish. Any model or hobby store should sell a matt (dull) lacquer.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/141559495034 like this?

Duzza

Perfect!!

Duzza

Just a few shots of the same mod I've just completed for Westender. His BP lost its pearl, so wanted to someone to fit his new bezel insert and get it platinumized. Annoyingly I think has turned out better than my DSSD, slightly better shade :)

DSC_0147_zpsnfltikuc.jpgDSC_0149_zpsriy4yrg0.jpgDSC_0150_zpsy8nothuc.jpg

T__H

Great job, man!

Escapizm

Just began my second attempt at this, the first seen me butcher the triangle paint a bit using a soldering iron to remove the pearl, I have another ceramic insert on route from BK witch in going to platinumize, I've just prized of the bezel no problem. I'm was now looking at 4 tiny metal rods equispaced around the crystal. I gentley stoked one wondering what service the provided thinking these were the source of the quality sounding click. My stroke ever so slightly compressed the 1mm outside diameter spring a shooting the tiny tiny mushroom shaped pin (approx 2mm long by 1mm in diameter) into the ether! "nooooooooooo"

It only took me 45 minutes to find it, I was cross eyed.

I've now soaked the bezel and ceramic insert in baby oil to see if it loosens the adhesive as I'd like to remove the ceramic without breaking it in an effort to platinumize it too. I'll take some pics of the dissembled bits but I'm having a beer now having stressed I'd fooked the job reet up!

More to follow...

Pupps

You sir are both ballsy as fuck and a artistic genius, seriously top class work, how much would you charge for such a service, really tempted to have this mod done to my noob DSSD D-blue. Feeling like a flourishing business in the offing :)

Duzza

Just began my second attempt at this, the first seen me butcher the triangle paint a bit using a soldering iron to remove the pearl, I have another ceramic insert on route from BK witch in going to platinumize, I've just prized of the bezel no problem. I'm was now looking at 4 tiny metal rods equispaced around the crystal. I gentley stoked one wondering what service the provided thinking these were the source of the quality sounding click. My stroke ever so slightly compressed the 1mm outside diameter spring a shooting the tiny tiny mushroom shaped pin (approx 2mm long by 1mm in diameter) into the ether! "nooooooooooo"

It only took me 45 minutes to find it, I was cross eyed.

I've now soaked the bezel and ceramic insert in baby oil to see if it loosens the adhesive as I'd like to remove the ceramic without breaking it in an effort to platinumize it too. I'll take some pics of the dissembled bits but I'm having a beer now having stressed I'd fooked the job reet up!

More to follow...

No need to soak it mate. the actual tape used to hold it down is pretty flimsy. A bit of thinner brushed around the join between metal and ceramic and a hobby knife blade will part the insert no problem.

P4GTR

Great work! If you ever have to redo it in the long term, I was quite happy with testors aluminum (enamel). It's so bright it looks white, but transitions to sparkling silver very well at certain angles. The pigment has the finest, brightest metal flake of the several different colors I tried.

Again, looks great. Nice neat work.

Escapizm

Cheers when replacement arrives from bk I'll give it a go. Any tips or glueing back in would be appreciated. I guess it would be prudent press bezel back on first the glue insert so as to not to be in between clicks.

Duzza

Great work! If you ever have to redo it in the long term, I was quite happy with testors aluminum (enamel). It's so bright it looks white, but transitions to sparkling silver very well at certain angles. The pigment has the finest, brightest metal flake of the several different colors I tried.

Again, looks great. Nice neat work.

Yes, I tried the Testors but not only is it impossible to get in the UK, making it very expensive to get imported, I also preferred the colour of this Vallejo mix.

dasher22de

Did you actually brushed the paint onto the bezel? Has anyone tried airbrushing it?

Duzza

Did you actually brushed the paint onto the bezel? Has anyone tried airbrushing it?

Yes it was applied with a brush, the groove almost sucks the paint off the brush. Airbrushing would undoubtedly be better.

Escapizm
7ec9c504d4359740e2edf277361807b3.jpg here's mine after 3rd attempt. I'm very happy with this now.

Duzza

Yes, looks great Escapizm