Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

A tip for balance stones separation

GenTLe

When I started to enjoy tinckering (actually just few months ago), one of my problem was to separate the endstone of the balance staff pivots from their pierced hole stones.

This is a crucial step for properly oiling a movement during a service, so you can't simply skip it.

Sometimes a couple of mins in the ultrasonic machine were enough, but sometimes no matter how much you leave them inside the cleaner or how hot is the water... These bastars stay well attached.

Trying with a sharp tweezer or with a needle doesn't normally help, and you can even damage the hole in the pierced jewel or its metal ring where the endstone fits. Not considering the risk of the parts to fly away in that strange place where all the rarest pieces of our movements fly to disappear forever...

Well, I found a good way to separate these 2 pieces without going mad. Maybe it is a well known procedure but I didn't find it explained anywhere...

It is pretty simple: just put the parts on a bar of rodico, end stone facing the rodico. Push a bit their assembly so that the end stone stick to the rodico and, maybe not the first push and pull, maybe not the second, but surely at a certain point when you pull the pierced hole the end stone will remain attached to the rodico, finally divided from the rest :)

Cheers, GenTLe

Irishcain

Agitate for a couple of minutes in acetone (agitate, don't just lest them sit in it) and they usually fall apart, but the rodico is good advice for particularly stuck ones.

plankton

Haven't gotten that far as of yet