Sign in to follow this  
makeboss

Recreating a Project X Rolex Sub...

makeboss

I've had this image sitting on my desktop for a few weeks now, and I have a few questions that you old timers might be able to contribute.

SS3%20800p21286317930.jpg

Project X creates custom Rolexes, modified to user's specifications. The most obvious mods that pop out on this custom are the black pearl, NATO strap and the red "submariner 1000ft * 300m" text. It looks sharp as hell. Now for some questions...

1. How much should a nato nylon strap cost? The Project X page lists the item at 25 GBP, shockingly-low priced relative to the cost of some authentic Rolex components.

2. Was the red text on the dial a feature of an older model of Submariner, which has been dropped over time? The red text is a great little mod, it really pops off the face of the watch.

3. The Submariner used to have beige/off-white hour markers. Is this strictly a classic feature, or is it found on modern Subs?

This baby looks like something a Spec Ops agent wears when he's silently creeping up slitting terrorist throats. I'm considering purchasing a BK DSSD and throwing on the NATO strap, and then tracing down a dial with red text. I can live without the black pearl, neat though it may be.

Thanks, this may bridge into a pretty cool discussion so I look forward to your responses. The source is http://www.projectxdesigns.com/details2_PXDSS3.html, where you can see some awesome modified Subs (black bezels, black cases, crown gaurds removed, etc.)

Edited by makeboss

mspangl

1. nato straps start at 5GBP..

2. i think the red text is just a feature of the project x sub

dno about the 3rd point.. but i think theyre all white ish// except for the earlier subs which used to have tritium dial markers

Pentax

Buy a vintage.rolex from Mary and add a G10 Nato strap and that should do it

Eiderdaus

If you find someone that is reprinting dials let me know. Good luck by searching such a dial.

Regarding the Black Pearl, this can be rebuild, with stealth lume from watchlume here of the RWG shop.

G10 NATO with Pvd buckle is on eBay, be careful don' t buy the cheap ones, the buckles are to thin.

The satin finish can Be arranged by brushing the case but you will disassemble the Complete Watch As on the pss3 the Case sides, cg and caseback is satin finished

makeboss
If you find someone that is reprinting dials let me know. Good luck by searching such a dial.

Regarding the Black Pearl, this can be rebuild, with stealth lume from watchlume here of the RWG shop.

G10 NATO with Pvd buckle is on eBay, be careful don' t buy the cheap ones, the buckles are to thin.

The satin finish can Be arranged by brushing the case but you will disassemble the Complete Watch As on the pss3 the Case sides, cg and caseback is satin finished

What exactly constitutes a satin finish? Does it darken the brushed steel?

Eiderdaus

no it doesn´t that is just the light setting that is used to take that picture. satin finish is nothing more then brushing the polished metal very very fine so that it has a satin look. don´t know what type of sandpaper to take but it has to be very fine, i don´t know if scotch brite will do but i guess it is a beginning. but you will need to remove the bezel (find a case where the bezel is removable) to my knowlegde so far only wm9 models are capable. when ginault is launching his sales then you will have an alternative since these models have that feature. don´t do it like mya mate andy who raped his pvd sub and bended the bezel to death :lol: and the bezel will need to be brushed as well.

if you starting that project, i would love to join. i have close contact to ginault and he will let me know asap when the first models are for sale. superlumed hands are now available on ebay http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ginaults watches have cyclop mag 2.5x, removable bezel, superlumed dial dots and superlumed hands. the bezel insert sits correct in the bezel. so you can use this case, exchange the dial (don´t think it will be easy to find someone who is able to reprint the dial), mount a rep or gen rlx crown.

buy a nato strap but not like this one http://cgi.ebay.de/DiverTec-Nato-Strap-Nat...=item3cb08d5ebb

since the buckle is to thin. currently i was not able to find the correct one at ebay

I guess mary can provide a strap since the prohunter reps have the correct buckle on their natos. i have a nato from my prohunter gmtII. ginault sells with nato but silver buckle.

let me know how you proceed