Sign in to follow this  
PhillyRock

What NOT to wear.

PhillyRock

I finally decided to get the 1967 Andre Rivalle chronograph watch repaired. I've been shopping online for a very unique vintage watch but all this time I've had one, just in need of attention.

I was lucky enough to have stumbled upon a what is known as "the poor mans Monaco". It contains a very rare 17 jewel Lapanouse 2370 chronograph.

The 7 jewel versions are common, but from what I'm able to gather from other watch forums and vintage sites, the 17 jewel is extremely rare and highly sought after. Learning this, I was a little hesitant about getting the watch back in working order because it would be costly. I figured that after I plopped down a few hundred on a vintage piece, for the same price I can have this one I own fixed. (only requires a service and cleaning).

So now onto the point of my thread............

I stroll into a AD and watch makers shop. I lay down the watch and ask for an estimate. I know the balance assembly is fine, it's not over banked or requires spare parts (parts in which are impossible to find or replace). I was quoted $250.00 from the first shop, and then $320.00 from the second place. Now keep in mind that I'm requesting a movement service ONLY.

I quit shopping AD's pretty quickly because it was bitter cold out. Any of you here in the N.E. section of the USA know about the weather conditions.

For the past 2 weeks we've been dealing with -5 and -10 temperatures with winds around 5 to 40 MPH which drops the temperatures to -15 to -20 wind chill temps, throw in some sleet and random snow storms and it's not a good time to be anywhere on the east coast north of Baltimore.

Two days pass and I try again. I start shopping AD's and watch makers once more. I stumble into an old "mom and pop" place and was quoted $150.00, into another watchmaker a bit larger than the first shop and was quoted $180.00. I start scratching my head as to how could the prices be so different from one day to the next.

The cold hasn't gotten to me yet so I go back into the AD I went into the first day I started my journey to get quoted again. This time I was given a much lower quote for the same requested "watch movement service". This time it was $200.00. I couldn't understand it at first.

THEN it was clear. Each time I was quoted, the person helping me looked at the watch I had on before issuing a price. The Cartier AD and watch smith I went into the first time must have seen the Omega 300m co-axle I was wearing the first day, then a different watch wench saw the Android watch I was wearing the following day and issued a price equivalent to what I was wearing THAT day.

I guess it was just the AD sales reps and watch makers trying to be slick and marking up prices when they thought they could.

Lesson learned.

myaz

Cool story.

Yup, if you want a little attention and or groveling when killing a little time at an AD, like when the wife is endlessly looking at shoes next door, the watch you wear influences the attention you get, that or the salesperson won't last long.

As far as the prices you got quoted, sometimes they are pulled out of thin air aren't they? It's like why do some attorneys charge $250/hour and others $500/hour.

To wit: I had a friend dentist once tell me he didn't have a fee schedule, prices varied with everyone, he quoted them according to what he thought they could afford.

GenTLe

Nohing new here :)

As stated months ago in one of the "do you say to others it is a rep?" threads, I use to say it is a rep (even if not requested: I manage to divert the discussion on watches on purposes) to people the are working for me. And wear my worst scratched and half destroyed Casio when going to visit them to pay the bill asking for a discount :D

Irishcain

One AD I know has a minimum price list, the minimum price the shop will charge for a particular service, however all the shop girls are told to charge 22-50% more depending on how the customer looks, is dressed, etc. That also gives the girls room to bring the price down to make the customer feel special or as an incentive if the customer looks about to walk. The manufacturers also have a minimum suggested price list that they "encourage" AD's to use as a starting point.

Replicaaustralia

Wow. Great story, I will make sure I'm not too dolled up when I leave home haha