Sign in to follow this  
kennycoder

21j DG2813 DWO re-alignment

kennycoder

So.. I got this wonderful hulk regmariner and the DW was very down for most of the numbers.. Since it's a 21j movement I thought I could afford to break it if something goes wrong. Good thing is, you don't actually need to mess with anything except for the case, hands and dial. With proper tools it's a 30 minute job. Just get yourself a proper glue that takes about 30 minutes to harden so you have enough time to align the DW and you should be fine.

Let's start:

1) Open the caseback with the rubber ball (thanks to G2G giveaway :D), take the rotor off, stem (in winding position) and two clips that hold the movement:

cjbFg8K.jpg

2) Carefully remove the movement holder and the movement and remove the hands. I used a small paper protection not to scratch the dial:

8JwWOSn.jpg

3) Everything is out now.. time to take the dial off and remove the DWO. I used x-acto knife to separate the overlay from standard DW (sorry no pic):

jBBkL7z.jpg

hPMHyFH.jpg

nYzZNb8.jpg

4) Clean old glue leftovers, put 3 or 4 tiny drops and put the overlay on top, now properly aligned... and test it:

iSN4xdn.jpg

5) If properly aligned.. let it sit a little bit and then you can start re-assembling everything back. Since I don't have hand press tool I used a wooden toothpick with a hole inside. Does the job perfectly. To put the hands in the correct position, I used a bit of isolation tape not to leave finger prints nor damage the hands. Also don't forget to put the hands in a proper position.. for that I turned the crown until the date has changed and stopped there .. this means it should be ~midnight.

Vf3N0QD.jpgbRNZyAg.jpgH6oF9mf.jpg

6) Check if no dust is left, put the movement back inside the case, tighten the screws, put the rotor and stem back, close the caseback and you are good.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Keep in mind I did it on my own risk.. I'm not a qualified tinkerer.. was just following common sense.

Gazzla

Super work Sir!

andyboy

Great job

:thumbsup2:

gmchris

Sweet! Interesting use of improvised tools. I use two screwdrivers to press hands on (one each side of the pinion), but risk marking them- liking the cocktail stick :) In the absence of tweezers I use blu tack rolled to a point to pick up and set down small items like hands and screws etc.

Enjoy tinkering!

kennycoder

Thanks guys! I think the most tricky part was to secure the movement in place with those stupid tiny clips. Other than that it's a piece of cake if you don't have shaky hands :rofl:

Irishcain

Nicely done!

SSTEEL

Congrats my friend, are all the dates aligned, or just some?

kennycoder

All of them. The problem was that it didn't come properly centered from factory, therefor some were ok, other completely off center vertically and horizontally.

kamma

Good job, well done that man :)

How did you find the hands resetting? (if its your first time) This is something that I find daunting to be honest as im afraid

of pushing them on to hard.

MadeInTaiwan

Nice share! Im a little less worried about ordering a date watch. Thanks.

SSTEEL

All of them. The problem was that it didn't come properly centered from factory, therefor some were ok, other completely off center vertically and horizontally.

:thumbsup:

kennycoder

Good job, well done that man :)

How did you find the hands resetting? (if its your first time) This is something that I find daunting to be honest as im afraid

of pushing them on to hard.

Not the first time, I've a fair amount of time butchering some old broken movements while a bit drunk in the past few years. Learned couple of "do"s and "don't"s. But working with hands is not difficult at all, you just need a steady hand and gentle touch :P

Jorge-(WhoreHay)

Other than that it's a piece of cake if you don't have shaky hands :rofl:

Albeit, in some instances, a shaky hand is welcome!

LightGeek

Great job! Fun isn't it :)

Jorge-(WhoreHay)

I usually use some fingertip gloves (mini condoms) when messing around with my watches... no fingerprints there.