Sign in to follow this  
jizza24

What to do...

jizza24

Hi Gents,

I'm a little upset with some of the purchases from a TD but it seems i should just cut my losses and move on. Sometime last year I ordered a Tag Heuer GC on QC the TD told me there was an issue with the date wheel and I would have to wait while it gets sorted, not a problem service was great right till the end. However after a month of use when I wind the watch up I can tell something is lose but the watch works fine, 4 months down I see a spec of dust on the dial and decide to clean it. So I get the case back off, 1st movement screw out and the second just falls off as the screw driver touches it. On close investigation I spot what's causing the loose sensation when winding, the moment screw was broken off midway. How the F..k do I sort this out I'm not even gonna address it with the TD cause the watch is 4 months old.

Second issue same TD still good service. My old man ordered a Breitling chrono avenger titanium QC pics show the watch with red square chrono seconds. Te comes back during QC saying there is an issue with the chrono seconds hand it must be replaced, second QC shows the same watch but the second hand has the lance style pointer TD is adamant its the same watch, so I order a hand set TD tells me the Handset is from a different watch they will test fit the hands before they ship the watch. I get the handset with the watch and the chrono seconds hand don't fit and after a month chrono hands not aligned, crown won't screw down propery...

All in all the service and communication during the service was good but I feel mislead in that the repairs done by the TD before shipment had defects which where concealed. I feel this is just experience for things to look out for in the next purchase cause these watches don't come with a manufacturers guarantee, or should I explain to the TD what has happened?

MetalMickey

Advice is always the same: try and work it out with the TD. if that fails contact a mod for advice. Never post a critical thread on the forum or launch a dispute unless advised by a mod.

Fair play for not naming the TD and stirring up a shit storm but please contact a mod for advice and prepare for some views to be shared you may not like reading!

Daywatch

Hi, for the movement screw You will get a replacement, either from the TD or Cousins.uk or O.frey in Conus or from ebay (if it´s the stem also replaceable).

As for the relation with the TD just try out the next one and move on. Imo smaller TDs take longer, may have slower response and even no website or a rudimentary one, but they take more care when selecting the rep in the first place. It´s also a question of luck and chemistry, some will work better with one person and less with another. Anyway it´s good to have a relationship with 2 or 3 different ones at intervals instead of only one and sometimes try something new.

jizza24

Thanks metalmickey, yeah I'm aware of the process but I'd like to get a general opinion I feel on my part being that it is a rep after a month I should cut my losses but since the defects to me seem concealed 10% of me is saying mail the TD.

jizza24

Hi Daywatch,

The head of the movement screw is broken off, so the screw is still in place loose and I have no idea how I can remove it.

black263
Hi Daywatch,

The head of the movement screw is broken off, so the screw is still in place loose and I have no idea how I can remove it.

Just trying to get my head around "movement screw" Do you mean the crown that you turn to wind it. And if so has it broken off leaving a bit of the stem inside the crown and the rest in the watch?

jizza24

There are 2 screws that hold the movement to the case on the on scre the head has brokent off but the body or shaft of the screw is still intact connecting the movement to the case making it impossible to get the movement out.

Daywatch

Hi again normally the screw just goes through a tiny movement tab like on the picture. If You remove the stem and in this case take out the other screw and tab this one should come loose and just fall out. You can try to grab the movement by the rotor with plastic pliers and push it a bit to the opposite side or try to fiddle a bit with a toothpick to widen a gap. Than hopefully you can access the broken screw with pliers.

Otherwise some pics of it or professional help. Good luck.

s-l1000.jpg

dave1978

Never post a critical thread

what?

MetalMickey

what?

Nobody ever says anything mean here... Do they?

dave1978

what?

Nobody ever says anything mean here... Do they?

Haha

Hornet

Aside from your mechanical issues, I've had some poor experiences with some TDs and have not got good resolution. My approach was to move on and try another one, now I have three go to TDs (two on here and one on RWI) that haven't let me down....

.....regarding your mechanical issues, if you can fix it yourself do it. If you can't and really like the watch use a local watchsmith to sort it out. Personally I'd always avoid sending watches back to the TD; too painful and with a long wait.