Sign in to follow this  
warcelo

Remove crystal

warcelo

Hello mates!

I'm trying to remove the crystal from my SMP chrono ( for AR coating ) but i don't know if it is necessary to remove the bezel first or i can just take out the movement

and press it outside the watch.

The bezel is tooooo hard to remove even with a screw driver ( inside a cloth ).

I also don't have the crystal press tool and i was wondering if can do it with my fingers ( i've done it before in a 21j watch, but the crystal was too loose )

Thank you guys! ;)

warcelo

HELP! ;)

warcelo
:tumbleweed:

KBH

Unfortunately I can't help you with this particular watch but many of the old dive watches have the crystals tightly pressed between a ridge on the case and the piece that holds the bezel in place. But that's more for the old plexi crystals and probably doesn't apply to yours

Most of the new glass models are just pressed into the case with a gasket for waterproofing and can be pushed out from the inside with out taking the bezel off. I'd take out the movement and give it a good press with your fingers. Next, it it still doesn't move, tap it out with a hammer and something soft like a dowel of wood the correct size. Use common sense and don't hit it too hard if it's still not moving.

Be aware that you will probably need to take the bezel off in order to get the crystal pressed back iin without screwing up the gasket. But It may be easier to get the bezel off after the crystal is removed.

Here's something I found about a different Omega gen bezel removal if you do decide to remove it. Probably very similar to yours:

Bezel time! Without a special tool, I guess the strategy is "protect and pry." Slip whatever fits (dull blade with enough surface area to distribute force to prevent acute/pinpoint damage, etc.) between the rotating bezel and case, putting a protective barrier of tape, plastic, etc., between that and the lugs for when you exert leverage, and go for it. I had a hard time removing the bezel assembly, although other folks who've removed them seem to have had an easier time. It required considerable force, and there didn't seem to be any "magic place" to apply pressure (no hidden groove, etc., that I could discern). I was hoping that once I got part of the bezel partially dislodged, I'd be able to go around the bezel with the dull blade, gradually prying it upwards (kind of like removing a paint can lid). But that didn't quite happen; at some point after prying part of the bezel up – my "foot in the door," I thought – I realized that I just needed to apply considerable force on the opposite side. When the bezel assembly finally popped off, I saw a metal ratchet ring that fit between the rotating bezel assembly and the case.

Luthier
HELP! :D

Well... this job require a small hammer, not metal, ofcourse, but wooden one, better from Brazilian Rosewood, but, as I know, you are lazy ass, too lazy to visit your cousin's workshop - you'll stay without crystal.

:tumbleweed:

warcelo

Thanks a lot KBH! The information is very useful! :)

Luth i did not forget! Wait more 2 weeks and then i will visit him. I need a full working day for it!

warcelo

Just removed the crystal! The difficult part was remove the bezel. Tomorrow i will take it for an AR coating!

Thank you KBH! :wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

Pohoho

Riding on warcelo's thread. Hope you don't mind.

Got a Titoni Airmaster in my hands with chipped and cracked crystal (or may be acrylic???). Had tried pushing it out to no avail. The assembly looked a bit more complicated as I noticed a sort of metal ring around it as pointed by the red arrow:

photodab.jpg

Do I ram a screwdriver into the gap and pop this metal ring before pushing out the crystal?

Member X

You might have to as the crystal may have a ridge below it!

Just be careful - if you're using a sharp object to get in the gap, don't hold it in your other hand with no protection in case you slip and take your finger off or slice your wrist open...

Luthier

This watch deserve a sledge hammer.

:D