Sign in to follow this  
black263

How can I tell if my Rep is really water-resistant.

black263

OK, admit you were suckered in by the title, but this is actually a serious question.

Now I know all about WR testing, vacuum testing, etc, but that's not what I'm interested in. I want to ask about bracelet and straps. I had always known that leather and water was a no-no, and had believed that WR testing and a SS bracelet or rubber strap was the solution. However, I've read threads where the clasp on a bracelet had push button opening, and the spring had corroded, and that got me thinking about the WR of the bracelet/rubber strap. I'm guessing that spring-bars don't have SS springs in them, so do we need to do something to stop the springs corroding. What about bracelet pins? What about the ratchet spring for the bezel? Are they stainless or is there anything else that needs to be considered before going into water with a rep?

I admit, I've never considered anything other than WR of the watch head, and would be grateful for advice on the rest of the watch.

Daywatch

Hi, I use the SS bracelets (previously oil-bathed) a lot in salt water and never had an issue. As with all objects exposed to seawater and salt it just should be rinsed with tap-water afterwards. The thin Chinese springbars the reps come with are the lowest quality available, so whenever possible I replace them with some thicker and better ones from Cousins.Uk (10 for about £ 2 GBP).

NATO-straps are a cheap and feasible solution - if You don´t want to use the SS bracelets or straps - with the added advantage that should one side come loose in rough waters it´s still held by the other. Leather-Natos are fine as well or any leather that is neither glued or double-sided.

SSTEEL

Good advice ^^ Always invest in some high quality stainless steel spring bars to replace the rep ones.

plankton

Good advice ^^ Always invest in some high quality stainless steel spring bars to replace the rep ones.

Where do you order good spring bars? Ofrei (misspelled)

SSTEEL

Yes, or Esslinger, I get mine from cousinsuk, HSwalsh, or Gleave&Co, all in UK.