Sign in to follow this  
morino

New project - my Grandfather's 40 years old Seiko 5

morino

This watch was "lost" and today I managed to find it! Taking it to the watchsmith first thing tomorrow morning and am really excited to start wearing it again, there really is a lot of history to it :) it's an old Seiko 5, reference 6119, 21 jewels Automatic

I also took some pics, but I suck so bad at taking pictures it hurts my fellings :facepalm

I'll keep the topic updated ;)

2dffdeab7e34fd3ee3dafc5124a34c7e.jpg

3b875534c09502a6257a2e87178dfb95.jpg

2f791d017ca1e5f0094fd2f67b557dad.jpg

69edfea75705e6ba0a3f90d74f9ea8c0.jpg

I'll take some more pics at the daylight but for now these will have to suffice. I'm not sure if you guys can see it, but the glass is damaged so badly it actually stops the "second" hand.

Cheers, Marko

Edited by morino

Martijn0007

That's going to be one hell of a job to get fixed! But it's a cool project for sure ;)

Good luck mate! I'm looking forward to see the result.

Pharmo

That's great news mate... Get it sorted and it will be your pride and joy.

Amazing how robust seikos are :)

Don't forgot to post some pics afterwards too

Kcore

WOW, glad to hear you found a family heirloom!

Does the day wheel have red color for Saturday and Sunday? Also what are those big blobs at the 12:00 and 8:00?

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Good luck!

morino
That's going to be one hell of a job to get fixed! But it's a cool project for sure ;)

Good luck mate! I'm looking forward to see the result.

Thanks man, I hope my watchsmith will begin working on it tomorrow, I'm becoming impatient already :P and yes, it's for sure going to be a great project. I instantly fell in love with the watch and I'll give it a very special place in my collection.

That's great news mate... Get it sorted and it will be your pride and joy.

Amazing how robust seikos are :)

Don't forgot to post some pics afterwards too

I'm sure I'll wear it with great pride, in fact I'm already very proud of it. The history behind this piece is just amazing! :) don't worry, there definitely are more pics to come!

WOW, glad to hear you found a family heirloom!

Does the day wheel have red color for Saturday and Sunday? Also what are those big blobs at the 12:00 and 8:00?

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Good luck!

Hmm, not sure since I don't want to play with the mechanism too much, before the watchsmith cracks it open and looks for any damage :) those blobs are actually "cracks" in the glass, I'm not really good at describing things but I guess you get the idea :D

And the blob at 8:00 is stopping the second hand sweep, so it's not functional at the moment

Edited by morino

SSTEEL

Looks like a nice project restoration, where did you end up finding it after it being lost for so long?

RussP

When the restoration's done, send it to Gazzla for some glamour shots..................

Always a fabulous feeling to find something of sentimental value.

SteveA

Looks fucked to me mate,looking forward to seeing it finished

morino
Looks like a nice project restoration, where did you end up finding it after it being lost for so long?

It was actually cramped in one of the toolboxes in my father's garage. But it's an old toolbox, where my father keeps all the tools that he no longer uses and just wants to keep in case he'd ever use them again. It's in his nature to keep all the possible stuff, even if it's of no use anymore :D

When the restoration's done, send it to Gazzla for some glamour shots..................

Always a fabulous feeling to find something of sentimental value.

I'll try to take some pics at the daylight just before sending the watch to Gazzla :P If this fails, he's the one to call I guess :D

I love old Seikos and that will be great when it is back running.

It dates to May 1973 (courtesy of http://www.csce.uark.edu/~jgauch/photos/seiko/seiko.cgi)

I agree! I'm definitely going to give it a lot of wrist-time, it's what it deserves. And thanks for the information on the watch's origin, I'll keep that in mind ;)

morino

Couldn't agree more :D but I still adore it and will do anything to get it back up and running!

TRANSPORTER

Couldn't agree more :D but I still adore it and will do anything to get it back up and running!

Not fucked at all, loose the strap, open the back, remove movement service on movement should be approx £65 (that's what my smith charges people, I service my own). Swap out the crystal for a new one, might have trouble finding an oem part there but hopefully an AM one should be available, drop the case in a cleaner and polish up, renew the gaskets and put it together again, put in a new strap, done in a day easily.

morino

Not fucked at all, loose the strap, open the back, remove movement service on movement should be approx £65 (that's what my smith charges people, I service my own). Swap out the crystal for a new one, might have trouble finding an oem part there but hopefully an AM one should be available, drop the case in a cleaner and polish up, renew the gaskets and put it together again, put in a new strap, done in a day easily.

Not sure about polishing the case yet... I actually like the ''worn-out'' effect it has and would like to keep it that way.

morino

Just got home from the watchsmith. The watch started ticking the moment he removed the damaged crystal, he said it's got one of the best Seiko mechanisms and the whole mechanism is good preserved and in an overall good condition. So I got that going for me which is nice :D

Still, the crystal needs to be ordered and shipped to him, so I won't be seeing the watch before next week.

k3rm87

My late Opa has one just like it :)

Now in my hands, really took a beating just like yours. Pick it up and it still works, amazing.

wimpie007

Who will be the first to post the picture most will think about after this question ;-)

ShovelnTC

Glad you found it and gladder that you love it.

I managed to get my Grandfathers 50 year old watch going after it had been left forgotten for a couple of decades and also have my Fathers watch but I don't like either of them so although it's great to have both of them (both Father and Grandfather long since passed) I can't enjoy them as I simply don't like em.

So good luck with the resto and enjoy it when it's done.

morino
My late Opa has one just like it :)

Now in my hands, really took a beating just like yours. Pick it up and it still works, amazing.

Wow, could you send me some pics? I'm still looking for an appropriate strap for it, should I go for a brown or a black one?

Glad you found it and gladder that you love it.

I managed to get my Grandfathers 50 year old watch going after it had been left forgotten for a couple of decades and also have my Fathers watch but I don't like either of them so although it's great to have both of them (both Father and Grandfather long since passed) I can't enjoy them as I simply don't like em.

So good luck with the resto and enjoy it when it's done.

Too bad you don't like them.. I really love this Seiko, there's a lot of history to it and it sort of reminds me of Panerai watches (because of how the case looks and because of the beating it has taken :D )

Thanks mate, I can't wait to finish this project!

Lt. Dan

nice vintage strap

morino

Just called my watchsmith today to check on the topic and he said he's still waiting for the crystal to arrive... I need to buy some patience somewhere :P

morino

As promised...

d459a3de557a92bd5ac9f38b0ffd3b86.jpg

802085af399b6b95a3f353670a5008a0.jpg

cee5976ce1c547679ad7ebfabcaf8822.jpg

7876264ef0d883aa540c063560735c35.jpg

58ae9d51a711188188304b4aa5791c9a.jpg

I'm very satisfied with how it looks and it's a pure stunner!

Martijn0007

Looks great!

:drool: :drool:

morino

Thanks mate! :D

trailboss99

Nice! What a lovely dial.

Now, you may prefer to leave it as is but if you were to have that replated and the caseback polished I think it would turn out like new.

Tiersen

That came out really nice, wear it with pride.