Sign in to follow this  
plankton

Siezed- CONUS Chicago Customs

shokka9

My son tells me that for watches he sees them in blue on the scanner. He also tells me that reps a generally not seized. The funny thing about the scanner

Is that gen Rolex are generally a deep blue and reps are in a lighter shade of blue. I ask him he could take a picture of that is the answer was no absolutely not.

After some deep thought, how is this possible that reps show up a different colour? If they use the same base material (316L steel for example), surely that would appear the same shade of blue regardless of the brand?

Essentially a watch is a watch, a scanner can only detect so much information, together with x-rays and topographic type rays, they may be able to render the objects in 3D and compare them to known dimensions of genuine watches. But surely in order to do this, they would need to create, buy, maintain a very large database of watch models in order to compare the results to.

I am spending far too much time thinking about this, I am sure!

:giggle:

HarleyMo

Most of my orders come in through Chicago (Missouri destination) which I thought the safer bet. Not sure why I thought that, but not liking the recent trend. Also wondering if more recognized brands, Rolex for example, get caught more than lesser know brands, say Blancpain?

Same here and I have two inbound, Pam 561 and Explorer II. Now Im really worried. Hope they dont get siezed.

kasper618

I have one that left china 7 days ago and hasn't shown scanned in the states yet.

To add to that, my best friend ordered a Seiko Moon Monster from japan. Limited Ed gen, one of 1313 pieces. It just disappeared after Chicago. Never was scanned "inbound into customs" This was a month ago. Usps has no idea where his watch is.

SSTEEL

Never nice knowing some customs guy is wearing your expected rep. Good move on the TD though.

Tits McGee

Ordered from Toro 2 weeks ago. When I asked why he sent it registered mail he related that Chicago Customs has been up to no good. Tracking shows my order got through NY Customs just fine. Smart man, that Toro guy, girl, or whatever. :titsmcgee:

plankton

Never nice knowing some customs guy is wearing your expected rep. Good move on the TD though.

Yes Micky he treats me well!

Just a note, no panic needed. They have to scan thousands of packages every day so it would be hard to catch even a small percentage. I'm comfortable enough to have already placed my next order and have actually already approved the QC's (less than 12 hours). I will keep you updated on how things go.

fatarms

My son tells me that for watches he sees them in blue on the scanner. He also tells me that reps a generally not seized. The funny thing about the scanner

Is that gen Rolex are generally a deep blue and reps are in a lighter shade of blue. I ask him he could take a picture of that is the answer was no absolutely not.

After some deep thought, how is this possible that reps show up a different colour? If they use the same base material (316L steel for example), surely that would appear the same shade of blue regardless of the brand?

Essentially a watch is a watch, a scanner can only detect so much information, together with x-rays and topographic type rays, they may be able to render the objects in 3D and compare them to known dimensions of genuine watches. But surely in order to do this, they would need to create, buy, maintain a very large database of watch models in order to compare the results to.

Maybe it's for the gold ones as opposed to gold plated? I dunno.

Aren

Most of my orders come in through Chicago (Missouri destination) which I thought the safer bet. Not sure why I thought that, but not liking the recent trend. Also wondering if more recognized brands, Rolex for example, get caught more than lesser know brands, say Blancpain?

He did say that right now Rolex is the easiest to spot. To be honest I placed an order for a V7 diver w DHL this am and Ken tells me that should be fine. So you probably correct. IMO they must have a new scanner or some type of equipment in Chicago due t the enormous increase in this type of activity.

I'd love a video of the actual process. Curious what happens to the actual product confiscated.

My son works at Trudeau International. In the security department for incoming parcels. The things that get seized by customs are put in a container

And sent to a local facility where they are put into a crusher.

Here in the states, I think they end up on some Custom's guys wrist. But WDIK.

Every time I read "Trudeau International" my translator still says "Dorval". I guess I didn't update my grey matter.

Sorry for your loss Plank and the loss to the dealer.

:(

plankton

He did say that right now Rolex is the easiest to spot. To be honest I placed an order for a V7 diver w DHL this am and Ken tells me that should be fine. So you probably correct. IMO they must have a new scanner or some type of equipment in Chicago due t the enormous increase in this type of activity.

I'd love a video of the actual process. Curious what happens to the actual product confiscated.

My son works at Trudeau International. In the security department for incoming parcels. The things that get seized by customs are put in a container

And sent to a local facility where they are put into a crusher.

Here is the states, I think they end up on some Custom's guys wrist. But WDIK.

Every time I read "Trudeau International" my translator still says "Dorval". I guess I didn't update my grey matter.

Sorry for your loss Plank and the loss to the dealer.

:(

Thanks, I would think that is a slightly significant loss for my TD.

Robin195959

Rolex gens are made from 904 not 316.

shokka9

Rolex gens are made from 904 not 316.

I did say for example ;-)

That is not the only material Rolexes are made from either, however, it would be very interesting to know how these machines can differentiate between gens and reps ) if thats possible. Apart from the obvious material differences, but then it would have to be a very close dimensional rep in order for the machine to be aware that it is a rep of a certain watch?

Just thinking out loud.

:dingleberry:

ellistyle1

I have a pam coming in from Toro. Likely through Chicago. I opted for the more expensive shipping option offered. We'll see if that makes a difference. I just bought a gen Nomos and it took about 2 weeks to get through Chicago. Hopefully, it isn't going to be a widespread trend!

plankton
I have a pam coming in from Toro. Likely through Chicago. I opted for the more expensive shipping option offered. We'll see if that makes a difference. I just bought a gen Nomos and it took about 2 weeks to get through Chicago. Hopefully, it isn't going to be a widespread trend!

He did specifically say Rollie's , PAMs might be fine they are harder for people to recognize (maybe).

ellistyle1

He did specifically say Rollie's , PAMs might be fine they are harder for people to recognize (maybe).

Either way, here's hoping. Glad you got your refund, but I hope we don't have to figure out a new means to scratch this itch.

Dirty-D

You got farther than me!

Western union wouldn't even let me send money to my TD...

nunu78

At the moment Chicago is one of the worst place for reps to land. It been all over the Geeks about seizures.

nunu78

It's going on since January

HarleyMo

Sure hope my two from Kuvarsits come in through New York

20Footer

Sorry to hear this for you and the TD!!! I've been lurking on RWI and a very large thread about this like others have said. A little interesting in Chi town right now. I'm using this issue plus the strong dollar as an excuse to pick up a couple steinharts. They should be coming via FedEx soon!! I'm hoping these will scratch the proverbial "itch"

plankton

Sorry to hear this for you and the TD!!! I've been lurking on RWI and a very large thread about this like others have said. A little interesting in Chi town right now. I'm using this issue plus the strong dollar as an excuse to pick up a couple steinharts. They should be coming via FedEx soon!! I'm hoping these will scratch the proverbial "itch"

Might be a good plan

plankton

At the moment Chicago is one of the worst place for reps to land. It been all over the Geeks about seizures.

I just read that info Nunu, interesting.

HarleyMo

My PAM and Rollie from Kuvarsit just hit Chicago Inbound into customs today, damn, I was hoping for New York. I guess we will see what happens.

Ishmael

Simple solution: get out of the midwest and move to Portland! I could order a cadaver online and it'd get through L.A. :D

RUSH2112

according to marvelous replica the TD can use your zip code to determine which port of entry your purchase will go through and, if it's chicago, make changes to the shipping method to avoid such as using airmail.

dfq23

Perhaps they have a chinese pube detector