Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Hamilton Ventura. An AliExpress gamble.

greg_r

This is dfq23's fault, damn him! ;)

We were talking about his aliexpress thread and he happened to mention that he'd ordered a Hamilton Ventura XXL.

Now, the Ventura isn't everybody's cup of tea. Opinions on it vary from it being butt-ugly, to 'quirky'. It was originally designed in the 1950s and has strong overtones of be-finned Cadillacs, Rocket Ship Americana and the Jetsons. Love 'em or hate 'em, they look like nothing else on the market.

The XXL is a relatively recent model, being larger than the original Ventura (much favoured by Elvis). It is, if anything, even more outlandish-looking than the original. There are SS and PVD versions, the former best known for being worn by Will Smith in the last Men In Black movie.

Anyhow, I will admit to having been tempted by the gen. I passed up a chance to pick one up brand new for just over £600 last year and have been kicking myself ever since. The rep, at around $300 was just too high a percentage of gen price for me to consider worthwhile. But when dfq23 pointed me at a dealer on Ali who had the same watch for £122 - a lot less than most dealers - the saving over the gen started to make sense so I took a chance and placed an order for the PVD version.

The watch arrived just under two weeks from order. It was well packaged in an unbranded, but decent quality watchbox, which was a nice touch.

The watch itself is awesome. The quality of finish is excellent and it feels very much like gen quality. The movement is the standard Asian 2824 clone. The strap is rubber and, again, very nice quality - I'm not normally a fan of rubber straps, but this doesn't have the usual rep strap odour and clamminess - it feels of very similar quality to the strap that came with my Seiko monster.

The dial is interesting in that the centre section is a fairly fine mesh - giving you a glimpse of the movement underneath without going the full 'skeleton' route. The case is nominally 46mm, but wears smaller - the watch has a slight curve to the back which fits it to the wrist and it's a lower profile than, say, a 44mm PAM which also makes it feel that bit smaller. I was surprised at how comfortable it is.

I've only seen the gen up close fairly briefly in the AD - and not in quite a while - so I can't comment on absolute accuracy, but there's no really obvious tells. This looks and feels like a quality watch..

I know it's not to everyone's taste, but this is most definitely a keeper for me.

Quick snap. I'll try to find time to take some better ones later:

ventura.JPG

Edit: Adding a wristie:

ventura_w.JPG

Chavezzito

Oh crap...even the boss has shares on Ali now!

Like you say Greg, a weird watch and I don´t know what I think of it but nice that you´re happy with your experiment!

kiki8704

Nice watch with quite a bit of history behind it. After all these ali threads I might have to take a gamble myself soon!

Mazz

Greg really is Elvis

greg_r

Greg really is Elvis

Wash your mouth out. My first wife was an Elvis fan. That played a big part in the reasons why I divorced the bitch...

;)

mulder

Need more pics G

RUSH2112

What time is it?

Chavezzito

Greg really is Elvis

Wash your mouth out. My first wife was an Elvis fan. That played a big part in the reasons why I divorced the bitch...

;)

:lmao2:

What time is it?

It´s 1954!

greg_r

What time is it?

Well, that depends.... :giggle:

There are two schools of thought.

1: The three indices on the dial are at 12, 4 and 8, but the dial is canted off to the right, which means you need to either squint a bit or hold your arm at an uncomfortable angle to get the time right.

2: Life is too fucking short for the above, so the indices are at 1, 5 and 9, which means you can read the time at the usual angle. It was about 9:40 when I took that pic ;)

TheSav

What time is it?

Well, that depends.... :giggle:

There are two schools of thought.

1: The three indices on the dial are at 12, 4 and 8, but the dial is canted off to the right, which means you need to either squint a bit or hold your arm at an uncomfortable angle to get the time right.

2: Life is too fucking short for the above, so the indices are at 1, 5 and 9, which means you can read the time at the usual angle. It was about 9:40 when I took that pic ;)

And that is why triangular watches never took off...... :lol:

Not something I'd wear but its "interesting"

HarleyMo

Dammit Greg, now youve made me order one. From going months without buying anything to 3 new watches in the past week, please someone stop me before I cant buy food for my children !!

greg_r

Dammit Greg, now youve made me order one. From going months without buying anything to 3 new watches in the past week, please someone stop me before I cant buy food for my children !!

Blame dfq23! It's all his fault! :D

gmchris

I've only ever been interested in the smaller Elvis version, but having seen this and hearing it wears smaller. . . Mmm

RichardMiami

@Greg

Do you need to be reminded of the Ali Express warning? If anything goes wrong with that watch, the Moderating Staff will NOT be able to help you!

Actually, if anything does go wrong, you could send it to one of our watchsmiths! There is at least one getting MEGA publicity on the Forum right now.

So perhaps, a non-TD watch needing repair should go to a non-TD watchsmith/hobbyist/tinkerer? ;)

greg_r

@Greg

Do you need to be reminded of the Ali Express warning? If anything goes wrong with that watch, the Moderating Staff will NOT be able to help you!

Actually, if anything does go wrong, you could send it to one of our watchsmiths! There is at least one getting MEGA publicity on the Forum right now.

So perhaps, a non-TD watch needing repair should go to a non-TD watchsmith/hobbyist/tinkerer? ;)

You're a sick, sick man, Richard... :rofl:

elp

@Greg

:lmao2:

RichardMiami

@Greg

When did you figure that out exactly???????????? :lmao:

greg_r

@Greg

When did you figure that out exactly???????????? :lmao:

Some considerable time ago. Did you ever wonder why we asked you to be a mod? :D

RichardMiami

yeah.............. I remember when you guys interviewed me.........

padded-cell.jpg

greg_r

Kink looked good in that wig and the heels, did he not? :D

RichardMiami

He STILL looks good in a wig and heels................ just like me!

img_7635_zpst0omgqu9.jpg

HarleyMo

No offense, but that is scary lol

RichardMiami

No offense, but that is scary lol

you don't like brunettes?

greg_r

Richard, one of these days I'm going to buy you a drink and you're going to have to tell me the story behind that photo.... :rofl:

onzenuub

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeever knew Richard prefers being a woman.