Sign in to follow this  
radioguy

Russian Vostok watches?

radioguy

Guys,

Has anyone ever played around with the Russian Vostok watches?

The vintage ones seem to go for pretty cheap on eBay. Really nice styling. Although I fear it's one of those things where it looks nice on the screen, but may look crappy in person. Has anyone ever bought one? Comments on their reliability?

Thank you

Cynikal.Mindset

I have one sitting in my display case that needs repair as the main hairspring or something has come apart in typical russian fashion. The watch itself when it worked, worked well and I really want to get it repaired or get a new one as its one of my favourite watches but since it was so cheap I have a hard time justifying paying to fix it.

mine is the CCP amphibian version with acrylic domed glass and I can't seem to find that combination anymore anywhere

Cynikal.Mindset

here are a couple pics of my broken :unsure: vostok

img1069rp.jpg

img1060d.jpg

as you can see, the hairspring has come apart from whatever...making the watch useless. surely, somebody should be able to repair this thing

Bi-PolarBear

Shop NBC has them and they look pretty cool. Russian 32 jewel movement. Only thing that bugs me and has prevented me from pulling the trigger buying one is that they all come with only mineral glass. Not going to take much abuse.

part_timer

Bought a few from ebay. You can get bog standard ones for £20-£50. The pristene ones allways involve bidding wars and can go up to £80+

I like the older Komandirskie ones myself, but have had and flipped a few divers, the blue diver's a beauty.

komandirskie1.jpg

vostokamphibia.jpg

I've been caught out by a franken though, wrong dial and hands for the case, lots of frankens out there if buying used, best to do some research if going vintage!

sirsubsalot

LOL I actually have a Vostok that was a prop used for a film called The Life Aquatic...

I don't wear it, but it works, and looks beat to hell. Took some cell pics for you:

vostok.jpg

vostok2.jpg

solkryssare

Thanks for your pm mate. How did you get your hands on that watch!?

sirsubsalot

I actually got it on eBay YEARS ago... so funny, I hadn't thought about the watch for a few years until I saw the post and dragged it out of the closet.

A friend of mine vaguely knows Bill Murray as he owns a restaurant with his brother in St. Augustine (which was close to where I lived) and I wanted to show it to him and take a pic with him (he secretly performs with the band in St. Augustine and also plays golf there sometimes) but I never saw him and it never panned out =\

solkryssare

Great story and great looking watch :) Dont ever sell it.

JohnG

I have a beautiful Poljot, the watch in my avatar... love it, excellent quality:

Imagen073-1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

sirsubsalot

Hahaha, the movie seemed to have flopped over here and I recall there was little interest in the item at the time... it wasn't particularly expensive which is why I bought it.

I wouldn't sell it but I would probably trade it to someone who would actually enjoy it and not just throw it on eBay...

@johng that watch is BEAUTIFUL =)

Edited by sirsubsalot

greg_r

I've always loved that watch, John... beautiful thing it is...

Kip Retro

As someone who's bought many Komandirskie's, I can tell you they take quite a lot of abuse. The crystal is extra thick and made to seal up well when going underwater. The screw-lock crown helps keep it waterproof, too. The paratrooper one is my favorite.

cuchulain36

Love mine for a complete beater, well worth the $50.00 I paid for it. It has a really retro 60's vibe with the domed plexi crystal that is super cool, and as a child of the 70s and 80s anything nostalgic to the Soviet era is something I like.

zsZkdu6.jpg

Edited by cuchulain36

Bristol1

just looked on ebay.. Not bad !

aka

i was given the watch by one member, and the strap by another member. it ended up as a nice combination.

watch.jpg