Sign in to follow this  
Harry_Worth

ETA 2836-2 Time keeping

Harry_Worth

Just bought a vintage Rolex Sub rep. with the Swiss ETA 2836-2 movement. It gains around five minutes every hour. I've been in contact with the supplier whose advised this is normal and that it will improve after a couple of weeks. Is this total bollocks or am I just showing my ignorance on the mysterious ways of the inner workings of watches? I'm intending to let Brightlight look at it after Christmas.

barkingtoad

my sub settled down after a couple of days of constant wear

it wasnt however gaining 5 per hour , that does seem alot

KBH

BOLLOCKS!

5 minutes a day wouldn't even be acceptable.

Take a look at the hairspring with a magnifier and see if it's tangled over itself.

wizawuza

Another quick check you can do is, if you have a compass (you know North South East West), then set the compass down on an even/flat surface, and slowly bring the watch near the compass. If the compass moves, you have a magnetized watch.

A magnetized watch has similar symptoms as a tangled hairspring.

One of those two problem is likely your issue.

trailboss99

Five minutes an hour? :popcorn:

Who the hell did you get that off?

Col.

dingle
Five minutes an hour? :popcorn:

Who the hell did you get that off?

Col.

:popcorn:

Harry_Worth

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed at getting what is clearly a 'fob me off and buy some time' email. I did want to make absolutely certain though by running the comments past you guys. I'd have preferred honesty. I'll see if it's possible to rectify locally first - I don't really want to ship it back 12,000 miles if it's a relatively trivial issue. The dealer has very good feedback so I'm sure he'll sort if necessary.

Eiderdaus

5min a Day sounds Ok to me. Nothing i would sorry about. Maybe it settles After a while.

wizawuza
5min a Day sounds Ok to me. Nothing i would sorry about. Maybe it settles After a while.

He said 5 minutes per hour, not day.. even then 5 minutes/day is still disgusting.

I had a watch that was doing 10 minutes/hour... after running it through a demagnetizer a couple of times and lightly smacking it against palm to unchink the hairspring, it now does +15 seconds/day.

wizawuza

oh and before people smash his dealer, it is possible (and likely) this happened during shipping.

KBH
I guess I'm just a bit disappointed at getting what is clearly a 'fob me off and buy some time' email. I did want to make absolutely certain though by running the comments past you guys. I'd have preferred honesty. I'll see if it's possible to rectify locally first - I don't really want to ship it back 12,000 miles if it's a relatively trivial issue. The dealer has very good feedback so I'm sure he'll sort if necessary.

I think the dealer must have thought you meant 5 minutes a day. You should explain it to him again, I think.

dingle

I think the dealer must have thought you meant 5 minutes a day. You should explain it to him again, I think.

+1

Luthier

Most of the movements coming unregulated from the mov'ts factory, and rep. factory don't give a damn about it.

Any local watchsmith can regulate it to 5-10 seconds a day.

Harry_Worth

Hi KBH - Yes, that makes sense judging by what you're all saying here - I have to say I thought the response a little unlikely but as you can tell - I know bugger all about watch movements. Guy probably very busy, flicked through my email and gave a quick stock response! I presume the watch started its journey OK - On that basis I'm presuming there can't be too much wrong and it would make sense to get it looked at locally rather than shipping back - Any thoughts ( I know it will incur cost of course)

KBH

Any decent independent watch smith can work on an ETA movement. Just don't take it into an Authorized Dealer.

Or you can send it to Brightlight. He's in the UK and it probably wouldn't cost any more than the money, time and aggravation of sending it back to China. I would imagine it's probably a simple fix.

Harry_Worth
Any decent independent watch smith can work on an ETA movement. Just don't take it into an Authorized Dealer.

Or you can send it to Brightlight. He's in the UK and it probably wouldn't cost any more than the money, time and aggravation of sending it back to China. I would imagine it's probably a simple fix.

That's what I'm hoping - I've booked it in with Brightlight for January.