Sign in to follow this  
Silverspeed

Upcoming auction of seized Rolex's 9th December

Silverspeed

Auction house Dreweatts 1759 in London, is auctioning a large number of Rolex watches in their upcoming event on the 9th of December. Their catalog can be downloaded , and contains 161 lots. Ranging from Rolex Datejusts to Daytonas (stainless steel!), the price / value indications seems to be very low. All lots are watch heads only, which means there is no bracelet or strap with the watch. Even with the cost of a genuine Rolex replacement bracelet, it is far below today’s market prices for a pre-owned Rolex.

Dreweatts clearly states that all serial numbers of these Rolex watches have been checked with Rolex UK and none of them have been reported lost or stolen. Also, buyers of these lots are being encouraged to purchase a strap or bracelet from an official Rolex retailer.

Link for the catalog: http://webpix.dnfa.com/pdf-catalogues/13363new.pdf

These watches were confiscated by the UK customs at Heathrow back in 2006

Eiderdaus

How can I bid from Germany ?

Member X

WTF

These will surely NEVER go for that little??

I would have thought that trade buyers would be all over these as they'd make a mint selling them on, even with higher prices than the suggested guide prices, and now it's on the internet all the forum geeks from across the world will be bidding the prices up too...

Ok, they're more expensive once you add on the 17.5% VAT on the hammer price (they all seem to have stars next to the Lot Number) and add 22% buyers premium + VAT on the 22% (25.85% end result) so £1000 hammer price is actually £1000 + £175 + £258.50 = £1433.50 (say 43% on top of hammer price) but that's still a bargain for pretty much anything listed at that guide price in the catalogue!!

I am almost tempted to take the day off and take a trip...

Luthier
These watches were confiscated by the UK customs at Heathrow back in 2006

Why?

narikaa

Who cares

No one methinks is going to march off with a bargain of the century here

Auction houses typically use 'come get me' guide prices to encourage the great unwashed to participate

mspangl

fuck me.. i wanna bid

barkingtoad

No DSSD !!!

Must not of been able to decide if it was the ultimate version :D

andygt

Don't forget the buyers premium of 22% that is applied to all sales plus the VAT on that 22%.

This means a total additional cost of 25% on top of the hammer price.

narikaa
No DSSD !!!

Must not of been able to decide if it was the ultimate version :D

Which versions were about in 2006?

debian

Why were these watches confiscated?

Member X
Don't forget the buyers premium of 22% that is applied to all sales plus the VAT on that 22%.

This means a total additional cost of 25% on top of the hammer price.

As per my post, they are all VATable on the hammer price too - so you pay 17.5% VAT on top of the hammer price, as well as paying the 22% buyers premium on the hammer price which has VAT added to take it to 25% extra, hence my calculations work out to 43% on top of the hammer price!

Not so much of a bargain if the hammer falls at even half the price of the current market value.

narikaa

Exactomudo

Every £100 bid will cost £143.35 with the buyers fee and the Violence And Trouble

andygt

Fuckabout, didnt realise the VAT was due on the hammer price too figured it was factored in already.

What a ruse running an auction house is...

andygt

Well it was as Reginald predicted - hammer prices average out at around £2000 for a sub, £2200 for an SD and £1400 for an Explorer II.

Once you add on the 43% those prices are pretty steep for watch heads only with unkown history

Member X

Yup, those were my thoughts as I watched the auction! lol

Some of the vintage ones went for a reasonable price, but probably due to the small size more than anything else.