Sign in to follow this  
Aluminum

What's the closest rep Rolex to a gen? (or any watch)

Aluminum

Really looking to buy my first rep. I'm on a budget of 200-400. I would like a rolex preferably. I will be wearing the watch in an environment with people who own high end gens. Willing to consider models that are quartz/auto. I just want the closet to rep as possible. I was thinking a milguass would be the closest, but other people are telling me the crystal color isn't done right. Maybe an air king? What do you guys think? Maybe a cartier tank quartz? Let me know and please post the link! THANKS!

NFleischer

And welcome! Look around a bit here, you'll see tons of information.Most new comers ask the same question, "who

has the best sub", and it's a sort of running joke around here amongst the regulars. There are many excellent reps- depends on what you like.

Rolex Sub C V.5 is about 'the best sub'. Many people like Panerai, Omega, and AP. Good luck.

MetalMickey

You might want to take a look at the Tudor Black Bay. It is not really high end but looks very classy and is one of the best reps out there.

RUSH2112

Well, for starters, you don't want a Quartz. Read the reviews in the rolex section. They will explain the tells and quality available. You'll need to decide what you are comfortable with. I work with people who also wear high end pieces and they generally tend to be ignorant about watches, even their own.

nev848

Don't make a fool of yourself by trying to compete with other Gen owners. If you get called out you will feel a right idiot.

Just get a decent Seiko and be happy.

rolexwatchfan

My favorite topic ever. Well in my opinion the closest to Gen would be the watch set on top or placed under the Gen. Placing the rep against side of the Gen would not be close enough in my opinion...

zufir

It would be best to find something YOU LIKE TO WEAR and not the most accurate one.

But, if you want to go this route I'd suggest you to look at the subs 16610 or no the no dates.

bech312

Tudor Black Bay or Milgauss (the one without the green AR)

GenTLe

If I got it right, you want to pass yourself as peer of those guys and not appear "the poor one".

Leaving out phylosofical discussions about the opportunity to do that, in my view the choice depends from few things:

1st the wrist circumference (18cm accepts 47mm Panerais and not 38mm Patek, a 16cm wrist is the opposite)

2nd the dress code (a Pam243 is a great rep but with a suit look out of place, a Cartier Santos XL on a gym suit looks the same)

3rd your tastes DO matter

4th a 250k$ tourbillon looks funny and screams rep on a 30yo guy, unless your family name is Onassis...

So what's the case?

Aluminum
If I got it right, you want to pass yourself as peer of those guys and not appear "the poor one".

Leaving out phylosofical discussions about the opportunity to do that, in my view the choice depends from few things:

1st the wrist circumference (18cm accepts 47mm Panerais and not 38mm Patek, a 16cm wrist is the opposite)

2nd the dress code (a Pam243 is a great rep but with a suit look out of place, a Cartier Santos XL on a gym suit looks the same)

4th a 250k$ tourbillon looks funny and screams rep on a 30yo guy, unless your family name is Onassis...

So what's the case?

Well for starters my wrist is under 6in....

RUSH2112

Pams will probably be too big then. Probably need to stick to under 42mm so your typical rolex is in your wheelhouse.

Aluminum
Pams will probably be too big then. Probably need to stick to under 42mm so your typical rolex is in your wheelhouse.

Beautiful Pam you got!

Rolex suggestions?

RUSH2112

Check out the sections for TDs TC and BK. General consensus is BK provides the ultimate no date ceramic sub and TC provides the ultimate non ceramic sub w/cyclops. Those are easy to suggest. I would avoid gold rolex. Explorers are probably not a bad choice either.

Daywatch

Circular question: (almost) any rep is closer to gen than a Rolex (in general publics opinion)

These are full of tells but not too bad:

Tud_1495c_zpswlow9zes.jpg

IMG_3378_zps17fadcbc.jpg

Sub_1477c_zpsbztwr5hm.jpg

BR_0875c_zpsbf67dd5d.jpg

GenTLe

Without a wrist like that I would stay around 40mm. And to avoid too much interess I would also look not in the Rolex area.

Get something less obvious, for example a Patek (ask _DC_ ) like the Calatrava 5227, or the Nomos Tangomat, or an AP 15400, or, for more sport one, an Omega PO with 8500 movement.

Rolex is so obvious...

Icemix69

You might want to take a look at the Tudor Black Bay. It is not really high end but looks very classy and is one of the best reps out there.

Or the tag that we love so much lol

Aluminum
Without a wrist like that I would stay around 40mm. And to avoid too much interess I would also look not in the Rolex area.

Get something less obvious, for example a Patek (ask _DC_ ) like the Calatrava 5227, or the Nomos Tangomat, or an AP 15400, or, for more sport one, an Omega PO with 8500 movement.

Rolex is so obvious...

The Patek is something of interest, will contact _DC_

Martijn0007

Rolex is so obvious...

Before you contact Dave you should do some of your own research first.

He's written many reviews in the Patek Philippe section of this forum.

Trüffi

Mine

Aluminum

Rolex is so obvious...

Before you contact Dave you should do some of your own research first.

He's written many reviews in the Patek Philippe section of this forum.

He has some great reviews I read up on a few...

chrish8

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I have a closet full of Puma track suits and I wear a dress watch with them. Now your saying I look tack? :( . Next your going to say I can't wear white socks with black shoes

353465968_7e2d60d5a6.jpg

GenTLe

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I have a closet full of Puma track suits and I wear a dress watch with them. Now your saying I look tack? :( . Next your going to say I can't wear white socks with black shoes

353465968_7e2d60d5a6.jpg

Lol!!! Actually I would also revise the shoes choice :D

Markonymous

So what's the case?

I think any panerai makes a stunning dress upp watch as well

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls6aan3zSg1qlbp0mo1_500.jpg?&cuid=2a8643d35e13081e6ae56abb6362a037

but any dress upp watch does not make a good every day watch. Panerais are the shit.

Stewart

Get a noob Omega sea master. Very well made and much less likely to be scrutinized as a replica than any Rolex. Plus it looks good on a smaller wrist.

Stewart

Rolex is so obvious...

Ask yourself, are the people I work with going to think I can afford a 20,000 + watch? If deception is your game, unless you drive a 100K + car I would avoid any watch that costs as much as a new Honda. But generally we try to avoid deception here.