Sign in to follow this  
Aluminum

What's the closest rep Rolex to a gen? (or any watch)

irate03

Are the people you are hanging with going to know a fake/rep when they see one ?? I was at a wedding last year and there were a bunch of bankers who all had the latest Breitling chronomat they'd bought with their bonus, they all held out their hands to show off their latest bling, just for a laugh I threw my wrist in to the circle with a homage vintage panerai i'd just made, they hadn't got a clue, apart from one guy who later came up to me, eyes bulging asking if it was really an old panerai and could he see it again, I told him it was not real but that I had built it and he was even more blown away.

Just because some people are wearing a 5 grand or 50 grand watch, doesn't mean they understand what they're wearing, only how much it cost them. I never claim that my pam's are real but I am proud to wear them anyway. wearing a good rep rolex at a dinner party or office meeting is fine, but openly being caught out by one person who knows the difference could be a deal / career breaker.

p.s No offence meant to any bankers here ;)

Edited by irate03

Realism

BEST SUB?

Without a wrist like that I would stay around 40mm. And to avoid too much interess I would also look not in the Rolex area.

Get something less obvious, for example a Patek (ask _DC_ ) like the Calatrava 5227, or the Nomos Tangomat, or an AP 15400, or, for more sport one, an Omega PO with 8500 movement.

Rolex is so obvious...

The Patek is something of interest, will contact _DC_

Ask yourself, are the people I work with going to think I can afford a 20,000 + watch? If deception is your game, unless you drive a 100K + car I would avoid any watch that costs as much as a new Honda. But generally we try to avoid deception here.

eerm - i drive a Honda

i just don't care much for cars or premium fuel

GenTLe

If I got it right, you want to pass yourself as peer of those guys and not appear "the poor one".

Leaving out phylosofical discussions about the opportunity to do that, in my view the choice depends from few things:

1st the wrist circumference (18cm accepts 47mm Panerais and not 38mm Patek, a 16cm wrist is the opposite)

2nd the dress code (a Pam243 is a great rep but with a suit look out of place, a Cartier Santos XL on a gym suit looks the same)

3rd your tastes DO matter

4th a 250k$ tourbillon looks funny and screams rep on a 30yo guy, unless your family name is Onassis...

So what's the case?

I think any panerai makes a stunning dress upp watch as well

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls6aan3zSg1qlbp0mo1_500.jpg?&cuid=2a8643d35e13081e6ae56abb6362a037

but any dress upp watch does not make a good every day watch. Panerais are the shit.

Well... A submersible in my humble opinion looks totally out of place with elegant dress ;)

NFleischer

With that wrist size, you can consider a 40 or 42mm or Panerai or Radiomir.

PP Nautilus is a great watch, thin and not that wide.

Frankt8242

Anything that says Rolex on it is automatically assumed to be fake by anybody who knows anything about watches...Just use your cell phone when you need to know what time it is..No one will think the less of you them..!! :giggle:

plankton

I'm at a loss for words...................

Really.

So much information to read here and that will help you a lot.

V7 AP Diver but if these people know you will they know if your budget can buy a 16k USd watch?

plankton

I don't mean to short change this but I'm more than willing to be if you read enough you might find something that fits.

plankton

:help3: