Sign in to follow this  
cooljust

Looking In Rome

cooljust

Hello, I'm vacationing in Italy this week and wanted to know if would be possible to pick up a few watches in Rome. I'm new to the forum and have bought several watches outside of the US (I live in NY) and was recently informed by some of the members here that the ones i picked up in HK may not be of the quality I thought so what better place than Europe to build on my collection.

Anyone have any ideas or are all transactions done via the websites?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Luthier

Stick to our Trusted Dealers, it will save you from troubles.

KBH

Almost all the reps are made in China or Taiwan. I don't think you'll find anything more than street junk in Europe. Certainly they won't be any cheaper than buying from our dealers. Here you are buying direct from the source.

Also I'm going to move this post to general discussion.

Baldrick

Beware of buying fakes in countries such as Italy or France, it may not be likely, but there have been instances of tourists purchasing watches, fake sunglasses etc, being arrested and fined large sums of money, 3000 Euros being a typical sum.

In fact when I flew into Bangkok Airport last month, I noticed a new warning poster, which advised travellers NOT to carry fake items in their luggage to most European countries as their respective Customs departments were now clamping down heavily on said items.

trailboss99

I could not think of a worse place to buy reps TBH.

Italy is VERY tough on counterfeits to the point where you can be arrested for wearing one (in theory at any rate) so all you get there is crap brought over from Africa (where 80% of the cheaper reps end up).

Col.

cooljust

Thanks, what I was actually trying to do was link up with one of the trusted sellers here who may be in the area. I've gotta say, you guys are on the ball and I appreciate the info regarding customs and such. I had no idea they were cracking down like that. Guess, I'll be placing an order online once I get back stateside.

Ciao!

Dr Yan

In Italy you are supposed to keep receipts for everything and in theory you can be stopped by the Guardia di Finanza and asked to produce receipts for anything you possess.

If you dont have receipts in theory they can do you.

they would normally asses you for tax on the item and for instance if you were wearing a €10000 rolex they could in theory charge you at the Italian Vat rate which is 20% as far as i know.

having said that i have bought lots of stuff in italy, replica stuff included, and never had a problem.

The reps they have are usually crap.

If you go to any of the bridges in Rome there will be guys selling rep bags, belts and watches.

They are usually africans or chinese.

the africans usually have canal street junk but the chinese guys sometimes have half decent stuff if you ask them. it will be no cheaper than any of the trusted dealers here and when you bought ,it you bought it!

no come back whatsoever.

i have bought quite a few reps in other countries Turkey etc and my experience is that if you have money to throw away go ahead but if you want quality reps at a fair price , stick with the trusted dealers.

my tuppence worth !!

Dave

Baldrick

+1 Dave, good summary B)

cooljust

I'm back in the states now and to update everyone I didn't see anything worth $5 in Rome. Yes, I did see the guys by the bridges and in the alleys by Trevi Fountain and yes they were selling CRAP. I've seen better fakes in the Phillippines! I have to be honest though, for the uneducated, it's a trap that can easily be fallen into. I've seen quite a bit of junk in my travels and but this batch really is the worst.

Again, thanks for the heads up and I'll be posting pics of my purchases from our trusted sellers!

Crusader

Good decision you made.

I am from Slovenia, country east from Italy (for those who doesn't know that) and I go to Italy a lot, mostly to some weekend trips or to buy clothes, it cheaper there and more offer and besides, there is no custom between countries.

But... I never wear a watch to Italy :P

I daily usually wear Rolex Daytona rep, but never in Italy, because of the things guys wrote above me. The laws are very strict there and if they get you wearing rep, you can have big problems.