Sign in to follow this  
JSJ

Clock Tuner Android App 28,800 bph regulating

JSJ

I'm interested to know if others have any experience of this little Android app called Clock Tuner. It says clock but as you can see from the screenshot, it does 28,800 bph very happily.

The screenshot is from this evening as I was regulating my 3777 which was gaining around 25s a day as it arrived yesterday.

I like to regulate watches as I wear them (I'm wearing the 3777, it's a stunner) and have done quite a bit of it since I started in November, gaining experience as I've gone on - you know, 3 down, flat, 9 down and all that. Watches I regulate with just a radio clock usually drop to +/-5s a day but so far all of them have their moments of wider variation.

Screenshot_2014-01-15-18-04-08_zpsdb6626aa.png

I read a little about it - there is one thread that I can find with it on here

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=60566

which refers to a review of an earlier version here

http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/39753-clock-tuner-little-timegrapher-android-mobiles.html

I have cross-checked it against watches which I have regulated and which I am familiar with. The app seems very accurate indeed, precisely predicting the accuracy of watches I have on my bench which I have been recording manually over the last couple of months.

As I am only using it as a guide and I must say it is a real find for me.

There is no manual for the app, which is a bit frustrating. I was so impressed I invested in the "Premium" version, which at £2.90 is a bit of a bargain.

No connection with the seller, just happy so far from a couple of hours use.

Any experiences or comments would be welcome.

Nisv

Weren't these around for free?

JohnG

How does it work? Does the mic pic up the sound of the watch, something like that?

I didn't know there was any such app. Fking cool.

JSJ

There's a free version of this, like I said ^

Yes, just uses the phone mike

JSJ

Maybe I should have made it clearer about the free one.

Experience tells me if I'm going to use an app, the paid one is usually far better

JohnG

Experience tells me if I'm going to use an app, the paid one is usually far better

Well I have a free Chess app and it kicks my fucking ass, I would hate to see what the paid one does.

:rofl:

JSJ

Well I have a free Chess app and it kicks my fucking ass, I would hate to see what the paid one does.

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

Mechwarrior

i have and is not bad. just put 10 seconds and high setting and use mike of earplugs

trailboss99

It says "clock" because that is the translation of the word for "watch" in a lot of European languages mate.

These are OK but the (main) limitation is the mike. You will need a quiet environment and preferably the back off the watch as well.

They are good enough for a quick check but like anything you get what you pay for so don't expect anything like the accuracy of a pro timing machine.

JSJ

Yeah, thanks trail.

I had the back off the 3777 and it works spot on. Better with the internal mic than the headphone mic but hen again it is a modern phone - Nexus 4.

Not ideal with the caseback on but then again I can't regulate it like that either. You can see that the amplitude of the signal is excellent in the screenshot. That is an actual screenshot of the 3777 using the Nexus 4 internal mic.

This is where I am with the regulator now.

IMG_20140116_111612_zpsa8cf8385.jpg

I can't fault the app (or the watch) and I would say it's accurate down to at least the last digit if not the decimal place. Like everything, you need to have a "feel" for it.

It allowed me to regulate the watch in one sitting to the extent that it has gained less than half a second in the last 12 hours. Would have taken me several days to do that by manual timing against my radio clock - which is what I've done up to now. That fine adjustment on the 7750 is an absolute gem and makes the last few seconds/day much easier.

As for the 3777, I'm totally in love and want to marry it. This could go horribly wrong...

Black Diamond

How do you use the app. All I manage to get is some small pulses but I don't any pulse in unison or beat error reading it simply says NA

AB51

Same here, suspect you have to pay for the Pro version to get detailed information.

JSJ

Yes, you need to pay. There may be other apps that are free and ad based but I didn't find one.

It's less than $4. Depends what your priorities are I suppose.

Black Diamond

So essentially, the app is useless unless you purchayz it :rolleyes:

I guess it is useful if you buy it but I have never bought ANY app and this will not be my first, thanks for sharing yo :suck:

chats

seems cool, any idea whats this called on ios ?

JSJ

There used to be one apparently but a friend of mine who is on the dark side can't find it. Anyone who knows, I know he would be pleased.

JSJ

So in essentially, the app is useless unless you purchayz it :rolleyes:

I guess it is useful if you buy it but I have never bought ANY app and this will not be my first, thanks for sharing yo :suck:

Yeah, same as the watches. Only work if you buy them :giggle: .

I must say without the purchased apps, my phone would be only a quarter as useful as it is.

chats

There used to be one apparently but a friend of mine who is on the dark side can't find it. Anyone who knows, I know he would be pleased.

there are a few in ios, one of em is called clockmaster. however it is 10 dollar, and i find it to be a rip off

nofitstate

Cheers for the heads up on this. I've used to it regulate my DSSD from gaining 60 seconds in 24 hours to losing only 2 seconds in 24 hours :)

Edited by nofitstate

fatarms

There's also Tickoprint which is free as well if you guys want to give it a try. I haven't taken the backs off any of my watches, but I can't get either of these apps to even register a sustained beat. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the microphone won't pick it up. I even tried with the headset mic that comes with the phone in a dead silent room. No idea what I'm doing wrong.

nofitstate

There's also Tickoprint which is free as well if you guys want to give it a try. I haven't taken the backs off any of my watches, but I can't get either of these apps to even register a sustained beat. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the microphone won't pick it up. I even tried with the headset mic that comes with the phone in a dead silent room. No idea what I'm doing wrong.

Mines a Nexus 4 and with the back on I could still get a good reading just using the standard mic at the bottom of the phone. Though when regulating my DSSD I did it with the back off.

JSJ

Yes, most watches work with the cashback on with my Nexus 4.

Have you located the mic on the S3? I hold the phone mic on the caseback.

fatarms

Yes, most watches work with the cashback on with my Nexus 4.

Have you located the mic on the S3? I hold the phone mic on the caseback.

I held the actual mic hole on the bottom on different parts of three different watches. I even used my finger to cover up the background noise mic on the top of the phone. Guess I'll have to try it with the casebacks off.

JSJ

I'll see if my daughter will let me install the free app on her S3 and let you know how I get on.

fatarms

I'll see if my daughter will let me install the free app on her S3 and let you know how I get on.

Well, I don't think you can get any readings with the Clock Tuner App unless you pay for it, I have the Tickoprint one installed now.