Sign in to follow this  
gentefina

'That's not a real (insert brand here)..,.!' Ever been busted like that?

gentefina

Just got into the rep hobby and with 2 watches ordered and on their way, I got thinking about the likelihood of someone noticing my VC Patrimony or Nautilus on my wrist and saying 'that ain't real'.

Now I'm a discreet person and enjoy a good watch like we all do but I wouldn't be the type of person to go out of my way and act as if I have a gen on my wrist, getting all obnoxious etc about it. I'm sure many gen owners aren't like that.

But has anyone ever happened to meet a watch connoisseur in the real world who clearly showed their dislike of the fact you wore a rep and got all judgemental over it?

Also wondered if any of you have had a woman, say while on a date, notice your watch and put you on the spot? What did she think when you told her it was a rep?

I only ask out of curiosity. I guess I'll have my own experiences when my watches arrive and I use them in different scenarios but does anyone have any experiences of encounters with people who want to know about your timepiece?

trailboss99

Well considering both of those are 30k plus watches the most important thing is can you carry off a 30k watch?

aventerav

If someone asked if its gen i would tell anyone its a rep. I dont care if some random person calls me out, you will probably never see them again. One thing i wouldnt do though is wear a rep at a watch dealer. Hardly any people will ever say anything or notice your watch, and if they will do the most you get is cool watch. If someone is going to judge me based on my watch i probably dont want to be friends with them. In certain cases I wont wear a expensive rep depending on the group of people so they dont think i spent 15k on a watch, despite being able to afford gens of every rep i have.

myaz

We have had a ton of threads on the questions you raise. You'll satisfy your curiosity and get great entertainment value by doing a search for threads on this board.

You are in luck. Most people don't know what a Patrimony or Nautilus is. You'll glide by incognito. Contrast that with wearing a blinged out Rolex. People are now more likely to start sizing you up or the watch or both.

The "connoisseurs in the real world" will show increasing dislike in inverse proportion to the length of their dicks: The mature ones might mention your watch to engage you in a conversation and the obnoxious ones, well, they just can't pass on the chance to let you know that they are better than you.

So as per TB, if you wear your rep conspicuously, can you pull off a 30K watch? Will you tell them it's a rep or that you inherited it? :D

RUSH2112

This might be interesting. Never been discussed before. I wonder what would happen.......

JohnG

This might be interesting. Never been discussed before. I wonder what would happen.......

Oh come on, don´t be bitter because you are past the wonder years. I still remember checking tracking ten times a day. And being able to see my own johnson without a mirror. It was a long time ago, true, but I can still relive some of that excitement vicariously through the noobs. Don´t take that away from me.

fatarms

John, are you saying you want to see a noob's Johnson without a mirror? And a second question, what is the proper hand stack on a noob Johnson?

paulvillo
Also wondered if any of you have had a woman, say while on a date, notice your watch and put you on the spot? What did she think when you told her it was a rep?

I had a girl notice my gen B&R in a pub back in 2008, when they weren't so popular.

Didn't forget that because first I didn't know her and second she knew more about that "pilot's" watch than I did...

gentefina

To answer TB's question, I think I can pull off wearing the Nautilus and Patrimony. Their apparent simplicity is consistent with my own style, ans even when I look at watches ive owned before (citizens, seikos), theyve always been the simpler understated ones.

I once had a great looking hublot big bang lookalike by Bulova but i felt so awkward with it that i sold it right away.

I think if asked about my reps now, I'd not lie and would say they are reps and probably expand on the pleasure I get from the hobby.

I have a beater casio watch that is for use in situations where either rep wouldn't be necessary though.

@paulvillo - that's a funny situation where your date knew more about pilots than you did! Hope you still got your charm on though!

Kleen™

If they have a problem with the watch I'm wearing, it is just that.....their problem! End of.

narikaa

This has been discussed over and over and everyone agrees that if you can't fight you shouldn't own reps

Basically you should have them unconscious 'four hooves in the air' before they finish enunciating the word 'real'

;)

Duzza

To answer TB's question, I think I can pull off wearing the Nautilus and Patrimony. Their apparent simplicity is consistent with my own style, ans even when I look at watches ive owned before (citizens, seikos), theyve always been the simpler understated ones.

I once had a great looking hublot big bang lookalike by Bulova but i felt so awkward with it that i sold it right away.

I think if asked about my reps now, I'd not lie and would say they are reps and probably expand on the pleasure I get from the hobby.

I have a beater casio watch that is for use in situations where either rep wouldn't be necessary though.

@paulvillo - that's a funny situation where your date knew more about pilots than you did! Hope you still got your charm on though!

He's asking if you can pull off a $30,000 watch not the style of whatever watch it happens to be.

Edited by Duzza

RUSH2112

Oh come on, don´t be bitter because you are past the wonder years. I still remember checking tracking ten times a day. And being able to see my own johnson without a mirror. It was a long time ago, true, but I can still relive some of that excitement vicariously through the noobs. Don´t take that away from me.

Link? Not to your Johnson but I would like a link to the wonder years.

gentefina

He's asking if you can pull off a $30,000 watch not the style of whatever watch it happens to be.

Yep. But the proof in the pudding will be when it arrives I'm wearing it. Ill report back of course!

Kleen™

You could always consider getting a tattoo on your forearm, stating "IT'S FAKE" with an arrow pointing towards your wrist.

That should nip any inquisitive questions in the bud...;)

stevok2305

Link? Not to your Johnson but I would like a link to the wonder years.

here you go!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wonder-Years-Complete-Series-slipcase-DVD-STANDARD-Region-1-Brand-New-Free-/151841328397?hash=item235a72cd0d:g:1vAAAOSwAodWFV5e

Kleen™

Never happened to me, but happened to a member here: http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=68235

That made for an entertaining read!

There's hours of good reads and entertainment in the old RWG threads...

OLDBLOKE74

In the sector I work the young guys (about 25-35) always used to wear gen AP's Tona's etc

I have noticed lately that they tend to be wearing "ironic" plastic jelly watches and cheapo 1970's style quartz..

I was at a big meeting yesterday and the private equity guys, Goldman Sachs bankers and their city lawyers were wearing something like this ... interesting new trend

Anybody else noticed this ?

Kleen™

I did that in my twenties, thinking I was "all that" in my expensive suits, snakeskin boots and plastic watch...:lmao:

Wriggles

Wow, haven't seen this one for a long time, I actually think thats the longest we've gone without one of these threads in ages,

No doubt they'll become fashionable again and we'll be flooded with them for months

paulvillo

Hahaha best part is that she wasn't my date till she saw the watch :lol:

Let me ask, do you happen to have any Portuguese/ Brazilian related?

Gazzla
ho006qF.jpg