Sign in to follow this  
wqleow

Finally filled up my watchbox!

meenahman

Amazing collection. Question is, which is your favourite ? :) and which do you lean towards for the daily beater ?

ag69

Nice collection!! I thought I would stop once I filled a watch box , but I continued buying more watch boxes. Therefore, this obsession will never end!!

Both you and greg are going to influence me to look at buying another watchbox! But honestly I like all 20 watches so much that I don't know which to sell!

I thought the same thing 45 watches, gen and rep, ago. Out of the 45 I have, at least 15 I don't wear anymore because I prefer automatics now and am to lazy to get the batteries changed on quartz. The only quartz watch I wear is a Tag SLR Calibre S.

TheInthusiest

How is the crownguard on your 390? My CG Pin keeps wanting to pop up....

wqleow

Nice collection!! I thought I would stop once I filled a watch box , but I continued buying more watch boxes. Therefore, this obsession will never end!!

Both you and greg are going to influence me to look at buying another watchbox! But honestly I like all 20 watches so much that I don't know which to sell!

I thought the same thing 45 watches, gen and rep, ago. Out of the 45 I have, at least 15 I don't wear anymore because I prefer automatics now and am to lazy to get the batteries changed on quartz. The only quartz watch I wear is a Tag SLR Calibre S.

Why not sell those 15? That will free up space for you to get 15 more!

I used to have a couple of quartz watches but ended up selling them all.

The only quartz I have now is a Timex that allows me to time my jogs.

wqleow

Amazing collection. Question is, which is your favourite ? :) and which do you lean towards for the daily beater ?

That's a really tough question. The daily beater is usually a smaller sized watch, like the Longines or Portofino or Nautilus.

My favourite watch keeps changing! It used to be the PO, then it was the Nautilus, then it was the Aqua Terra. It was the portofino 2 months back and now it's the Spitfire. LOL!

wqleow

Until you mentioned it, I never really knew about this issue. Took the 390 out of the box to have a look. The CG pin looks pretty okay to me. Mine is just slightly less than flushed.

57a3554e7d8e9bbe82c3d4aa08a134fa.jpg

Edited by wqleow

meenahman

That's a really tough question. The daily beater is usually a smaller sized watch, like the Longines or Portofino or Nautilus.

My favourite watch keeps changing! It used to be the PO, then it was the Nautilus, then it was the Aqua Terra. It was the portofino 2 months back and now it's the Spitfire. LOL!

Haha I don't have a watch collection as epic as yours but if I did I can imagine that the favourite would change daily !

TheInthusiest

Until you mentioned it, I never really knew about this issue. Took the 390 out of the box to have a look. The CG pin looks pretty okay to me. Mine is just slightly less than flushed.

57a3554e7d8e9bbe82c3d4aa08a134fa.jpg

That's the only flaw with the 390. The pin doesn't stay flush. Thinking about buying a gen CG and getting it done with... Haha

N.Rico

Wow very nice pieces you have there in your box !

classic taste :D !!

wqleow

Thanks nalonrico and meenahman! It took me about 3 years to get here, starting off with a scam site before finding paradise here at RWG and RWI. Trying on countless watches before realising what works for me. It's been a proper education and still so much more to learn.

Today's mini-review is about the much-written Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400.

This is an absolute classic. A Genta designed dress watch with clean lines that oozes masculinity and sportiness. I still remember I got this watch last Christmas. Here's a picture of it on a christmas tree my son made last year.

a83b6da1592ee3355ac9717001243f60.jpg

It comes in a 2824 movement (at that time, the Miyota version wasn't out yet). I chose the black dial as I already had the white dial VCO and was intending to get the blue dial Nautilus.

My trinity collection.

1abecede29ac96268f9c64750ccff98f.jpg

When you actually look at all components of the watch, you can really appreciate how well each feature is reproduced. From the way the screws are aligned, the direction of the brushed metal, the intricate rotor design and the deep engraving of the words on the caseback and bracelet clasp. This just screams quality. Of particular note, I love the bracelet. The way it hugs the wrist and the firm clasp is a joy to wear.

b6650a9890c67477e89f36145402ca41.jpg

I underestimated how large it would wear on my 6.5" wrists but even then it's still within my comfort zone. Maybe the 42mm AP ROO would really be too large for me.

380abb9fc004210e466415950400568e.jpg

At one point, I consider if I should swap this for the 15300 but the dial really does look more balanced with the 15400 than 15300. This is mainly due to the additional 12 o'clock double baton markers above the 'AP'.

Definitely a keeper.

Edited by wqleow

wqleow

As we step into the new year, I will continue my series of mini-reviews. Today's mini-review as well as wrist check is the IWC Portofino Automatic.

I believe when one is considering a dress watch, the IWC Portofino is a classic example, sans the date function. I picked this out to fill in my dress watch void and this has become an essential piece in my collection.

Sized at 39mm with a lug width of 20mm, this fits my 6.5" wrist perfectly. The profile is slim enough at 9mm, to hide under any shirt cuff.

I went for gold indices and hands for that mildly luxurious feel, on top of a white and mildly creamy dial.

1CB477DD-78C2-446E-B04C-25B0AA8673B2_zpsaetnbgpg.jpg

This runs on a A2892 movement, which is buttery smooth. The caseback is closed and simply engraved with the words "International Watch Co. Portofino".

This comes on a as usual crappy rep strap and deployant clasp. I threw away the strap and placed the watch on a Rios strap from Panatime. The deployant is only useful if you can customise the strap to get the strap length correct, otherwise it would just feel uncomfortable on a usual strap.

I also explored the option of a mesh bracelet with this watch. However, the gold indices didn't quite match the stainless steel of the mesh. Guess I'll keep this on leather for now.

IMG_6458_zpsfee1e989.jpg

Overall this is the classic quintessential dress watch. I can see myself wearing this for a long time.

wqleow

Few quick words about the IWC Pilot's watch XVII.

I moved to the XVII from the XVI because the red marker over the date window gave the dial more character.

I replaced the strap with a sailcloth strap from panatime and this watch is now awesome!

IMG_6395_zps0a98099a.jpg

3A970DA3-F05E-4DAB-9262-373DB13A7179_zpsvq4yfo4h.jpg

If you are an IWC aficionado, the Pilot's watch is a must have.

Rolls-Man

Few quick words about the IWC Pilot's watch XVII.

I moved to the XVII from the XVI because the red marker over the date window gave the dial more character.

I replaced the strap with a sailcloth strap from panatime and this watch is now awesome!

IMG_6395_zps0a98099a.jpg

3A970DA3-F05E-4DAB-9262-373DB13A7179_zpsvq4yfo4h.jpg

If you are an IWC aficionado, the Pilot's watch is a must have.

Which TD did you pick that from?

wqleow

Interestingly I got this off a trade with another member for a PP Nautilus. I believe most TDs would have them and the XVIIs do come up on m2m quite often.

machiavegli

Nice to see a fellow IWC fan. Only American run company over there. I like that your collection shows a pretty consistent taste too. It took me a longer time to realize what I do and don't like, so respect to you!!

-Mach

wqleow

Nice to see a fellow IWC fan. Only American run company over there. I like that your collection shows a pretty consistent taste too. It took me a longer time to realize what I do and don't like, so respect to you!!

-Mach

The IWC design has really appealed to me. And as you can see, I have sold and traded many watches to realise what I like. Even then, I sometimes look into the watchbox and wonder which piece will be replaced.

wqleow

Seeing Richard's post on his newly acquired aquatimer, I felt inclined to say a few words about my watchbox queen: IWC Aquatimer Chronograph (Cousteau Diver).

01300fd20b1e6e496489e439c9ae0ec5.jpg

This was my first high quality IWC rep and I was really impressed by the quality of the build. The weight is substantial, rubber is comfortable to wear, movement runs well and the lume is pretty acceptable.

f28f5c77dfc876481af80dcd1fec008a.jpg

The inner rotating bezel was cool to use as well.

This is a watch with presence. Sized at 44mm, it's not your daily office watch. Great if you are on a beach vacation or on a yacht.

There is a model that is quite similar, the Slevin. That's sized at 42mm and doesn't have the orange accented chronograph hands and the orange words "Cousteau Divers". But i believe that will probably wear better and I would really consider trading my CD for a Slevin in future.

25bb6b5c1d918d0bb9c12605260344f1.jpg

Edited by wqleow

wqleow

One of my favorite lines from IWC has got to be the Portuguese Chronograph. In fact, it caught my eye early on, just when I started this hobby. However, with more reading the seconds @ 6 issue seems to be a deal-breaker.

When I chanced upon a WI deal for a quartz version for just $88, I couldn't resist and surprisingly the quality of the quartz rep was pretty darn good and that stayed with me for a couple of years.

IMG_3171_zpsca37f437.jpg

IMG_3165_zpsbe264365.png

I have always wanted to upgrade to a mechanical movement and when I saw Lightgeek's offer for this golden beauty, I felt I needed to take my chances. I didn't regret it and this watch is still running like a champ.

8655c24f40bd216f2994ec2b213b2bee.jpg

The ardoise dial just captures my gaze and sets off the rose gold perfectly. It comes on a similarly rose gold deployant buckle. The rep leather strap may not be fantastic but is not half bad.

03346E47-33AE-4E81-8F4D-0CBA75012EAB_zpsvwwnoxke.jpg

b36b20b20d9ed152b1b112398117596b.jpg

307ea72e0e0e6dba1ff647d76eac4c20.jpg

Edited by wqleow

wqleow

My last and most recent IWC piece is the Spitfire Chronograph Tribeca Film Festival Edition.

70D10250-137A-4A88-A41F-B4684EE64422_zpsfflg2cvw.jpg

I didn't even know that they would rep such an unknown model but when Tim @ Watchfinder advertised it, I was deeply drawn by the combination of ardoise and burgundy red on the dial.

d0dc794b255567d1fd7ee3e635a01dee.jpg

The rep is sized at 43mm, as per gen, comes on a croc leather strap with deployant buckle which is quite well executed.

2c86671d49f9abb3d65889b24fd4d262.jpg

The chronograph as usual had the potential seconds @ 6 issue but having seen for myself how smooth the movement can be with the Portuguese, I was prepared to try this. Besides I know Tim had excellent QC.

c3ec954bdf3704f206a235e4378b9ff9.jpg

The other known issue of this rep was the rep-black versus gen-grey date wheel. I have to say this really doesn't bother me. The rep-black is slightly darker than the ardoise dial but is a tinge shade of dark-grey. As for the recessed date wheel, I didn't even know it was more recessed than the gen until I compared pictures. The entire watch is solid and well-made and I have seen worse recessed date wheels.

Engravings on caseback is deep and crisp. Other than the 5bar error and that every watch is 1 out of 100, I'm pretty happy with it.

This is certainly my favourite watch at the moment.

Edited by wqleow

wqleow

One of my most enduring piece is the Vacheron Constatine Overseas. I fell in love with this model after seeing it during the weekly wrist check and it;s one of the few VC models that are well-repped.

2bf2bc2c176c7d29782bfb05766d74d6.jpg

I went for the white dial, which I regret slightly as the white dial has taken on quite a creamy patina. On hindsight, the Deep Stream dial would have been much nicer.

b97e5f136dc8d8838160398be27982d1.jpg

This has a swiss ETA movement, one of the few watches in my watch box that I have managed to splurge on. The movement is as expected, smooth and reliable.

0a639794de5fe254f6b00298875cabef.jpg

I have read that there are 2 versions of this rep, with differences in the date window, applied logo and font. See this thread for a deeper comparison. Mine appears to be the Josh version.

61f007ed5d97ed25c98103292be84d62.jpg

There are some downsides to this rep. The first being the poorly finished bracelet. It has sharp edges and can uncomfortable to wear at first. The link screws are also pretty bashed up, with some screw heads being stripped upon receipt.

There were some dirt in between the bezel when I received it.

I guess for some brands we will never see a v2. And for a v1, this one's pretty acceptable. Plus it completes my holy trinity collection of luxury sport watches.

bdf68c3aea4dc232ad6c42ed810b1c22.jpg

Edited by wqleow

<RJ>

Thanks for the pics! Im always looking for a dresswatch. The VC Overseas might just do, Maybe to small :Thinking:

:thumbsup:

wqleow

Thanks for the pics! Im always looking for a dresswatch. The VC Overseas might just do, Maybe to small :Thinking:

:thumbsup:

My wrist is about 6.5" and the VC wears just nice. If you have wider wrists, I really recommend the AP RO 15400. That is another beauty.

<RJ>

Thanks. Im 6.7" so maybe this will do fine. Im not much into APs anymore.

wqleow

Thanks. Im 6.7" so maybe this will do fine. Im not much into APs anymore.

I've been eyeing the new PP Calatrava 5527. Classic dress watch. Maybe a consideration for you as well?

wqleow

The oldest piece in my collection is the Rolex Master GMT II. It also happens to be the only Rolex piece. I had purchased this from WI just as the ceramic bezel technology hit rep-land.

IMG_6320_zpsfdb60ff8.jpg

I had it on bracelet originally and then decided the mid-links were too polished for my liking. I chanced upon the Rubber B strap, which transformed how the watch looked. I kept it on rubber for quite a while.

IMG_5255_zps2b899c4a-1.jpg

The bezel is well constructed, although I have had thought about performing the silver marker mod on the bezel numbers. Rehaut is well engraved and the etching on the crystal is well-aligned.

The GMT hand occasionally slips but that's only because I didn't adjust the time in the proper order (ie adjust time after adjusting either date or GMT hand). And at certain angles I have wondered if the cyclops is ever slightly off centre.

IMG_5256_zps2a6d3087.png

It's understated and very functional and remains my favourite and only model I would ever consider buying from Rolex.

Then one fine day I decided to change the rubber strap to a leather one. I went for the distressed brown leather look and again the watch was transformed.

So it remains on leather for now.

1DA532A3-D8F5-43DB-8927-A1D7FD7E6682_zpsa2mvi1ud.jpg